From:
Shirley Hewett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Feb 2002 17:09:27 +1100
It's Summer here in Australia and the forecast was for a very hot day
so all 27 ferrets were confined to the air-conditioned house when I left
for work.  Toes and her seven 4.5-week-old babies had the top bedroom,
bathroom and corridor to themselves and the rest had the remainder of the
house.

When my son came home from work, after a 12 hour shift, at midday, he
found that our home had been broken into.  He phoned me and I left work
straight away.  ( How can a 20 minute drive last for 3 hours in my mind?)
My only thought was for the ferrets and during the drive home, I cursed
myself for not asking Shaun to do a head count, at least.

What a relief!  All fuzzies safe and well.  The barrier between the main
living quarters and the great outdoors had been stepped over by the
intruders.  The half door between Toes and family and the rest of the
group had been opened but shut after use ( I could tell because the
strong magnetic latch was not quite closed).  There were a few "misses"
toilet-wise on the floor but none had been stepped in and tracked all over
the place by the intruders.  Cupboard doors at fuzzie level had all been
re-closed after being ransacked, while upper cupboard doors were left
open.

When the police arrived, they asked me why I was smiling.  All that I
could tell them was that I hadn't lost anything important.  Perhaps my
little fuzz-balls had even enjoyed the occasion!  Security screen on the
kitchen window has been arranged.

Love & Dooks
Shirley
P.S.  A mobile phone and tiny amount of cash is all they took.