From:
Jaime Wolf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Aug 2000 11:00:42 -0700
I saw a post on here a few days ago about someone's ferret who is deaf and
tends to scream occasionally, even if there's nothing wrong.  We think one
of ours is deaf too- I'm just wondering if you figured this out for
yourself, or how do you know yours is deaf?

We have observed that Peanut has never learned her name (another one has),
that when you approach her from behind, she doesn't register you're there
until she sees you, she's not afraid of the vacuum (2 others are terrified;
other one has no fear of anything:))-- she'll run up to investigate it when
its on, when we turn on the water in the tub- which means they might get
to play in the water- the other 3 hear the water and come running and she
doesn't.

For awhile we thought that maybe she was a little "slow" mentally.  But she
has learned tricks that involve both hand gestures and verbal directions
(roll over; spin around in a circle)- the raisins helped a lot... But then
it occurred to me that she might be deaf.  We've tried clapping our hands
near her head and other "tests", and she makes no movement.  We asked the
vet who said that our observations were as good as anything she could do,
unless we wanted to do a complicated procedure that involved hooking Peanut
up to machines and all this stuff we have no intention of doing!  So, if
anyone has figured this out, I'd love to hear your experience.

thanks,

Jaime

=====
Jaime