Date:
Tue, 2 Sep 2008 07:53:39 -0700
Hi-- I hope someone out here in FML land can help me understand this.
(sorry it's going to be long)

first, a little history-- Lelu this past Spring suffered some sort of
infection-- our wonderful vet suspected spinal meningitis-- but due to
her state we chose to treat for any such infection instead of running
a ton of tests then treating-- ( we were worried the tests would take
too long, be inconclusive or just to tough for the tiny gal) she had
high fever and obvious neurological damage. with alot of prayers
(especially from FML folks--) antibiotics and soup she recovered--
never 100% but she is happy and bouncy and loved-- she still wobbles
and has trouble with shelves-- she has a special cage ( single level
and a special friend ( a little boy found a year before with similar
nerve damage - from dehydration and wandering in the desert heat)
Munkeyboy just loves his LeLu..

Now-- the rest of the story

this last weekend ..all weekend..::sigh:: we attended a local festival.
Our rescue set up a very nice ferret education/fundraising table. We
rotated groups of friendly ferrets ( all current on shots) to visit
with the festival attendees-- we were indoors, with an evaporative
cooler and plenty of all their favorite items--including a cage to
climb up in to hide away--

Yesterday the last group to visits was our wobbly group-- only for a
couple hours.. and they did wonderfully-- the kids that had been coming
around to pet a ferret all weekend were so trained to sanitize their
hands and be gentle & no longer had to even point out the sanitizer
bottle-- and they were explaining to their friends the ferret can get
our germs too..

About half way through-- Lelu started acting strange-- almost like a
seizure-- but not quite-- confused and disoriented.. I realized she
hadn't been to the food dish at all-- and thought her sugar might have
been low-- held her and gave her a treat and ; some vite.. she ate fine
after.. but still wasn't "right" -- Then I looked into her eyes.. her
right retina seemed to have detached-- or she had developed a cateract
since the day before-- later perhaps 30 min-- her left also clouded
over..

Finally-- here's my question-- what? why? how? anyone have a clue...

By the way this morning her eyes are less cloudy but still obviously
not as before-- and I'm pretty sure she is blind.

We called our Vet (vacation) but we will get in as soon as possible--
she appears fine in every otherway.. just wondering what you all
think..

Suki???

Lisa
Wind & Willows Ferret Rescue