Date:
Sat, 10 Mar 2007 18:46:55 -0500
[Moderator's note: Bill Killian was a regular contributer to the FML
in years past. Bill, in case you've missed it because you've not been
active here lately, I've tried to send very controversial posts to
affected people ahead of time so that they may respond in the same FML
to help balance the opinions and to help to avoid flames wars. That's
why a couple of responses to your post appear in the same FML. BIG]

Bill Said:
>They did not rescue ferrets. They boughth ferrets. But MFRAN wants
>more ferrets and more noteriety. So they call it a rescue and ask
>for your money to finance their purchases.

No Bill, mfran will NOT be purchasing any ferrets. The few that went
down there did so out of their love for the "companion animal." They
are members of mfran but mfran did NOT send the money to buy the
ferrets. These people could not sit by and let those ferrets die from
the cold. The money that is being collected is going to be used for
the ferrets that ARE rescued when the shut down occurs. And hell, high
water and the wrath of God, it WILL happen! We also do not care for
notoriety. Mfran was very happy to go along these years just taking
care of the ferrets that were surrendered to our shelters BUT your
dear, elderly, ill Doug made the mistake of calling a rescue
organization.

Bill:
>When I read the stories I understand that Doug McKay is old and very
>poor.  And the three authors are hatefilled probably lower middle
>class city snobs.  We have some busy bodies in Michigan doing the
>annual beat up on the frail old man.  Annual in that various people
>in Michigan beat up on Doug every year for at least 14 years now.

Since he is that old and frail and poor, shouldn't he just quit his
breeding practices? In a lengthy conversation with Doug, he told me
that he has COPD. I know what that is since my mother-in-law suffers
from it too. There is NO cure but with proper medical treatment it can
be controlled. There is NO WAY that he can handle taking care of the
many ferrets he has. I understand that this is the only business (that
I am aware of) he has ever known BUT there comes a time in all of our
lives that we have to think of others besides ourselves. He should be
thinking of the ferrets. And just for the record, mfran has only been
around for 7 years. So, it must have been the "other" busybodies that
were beating up Doug McKay.

Bill:
>Subsistance farmers tend to have junk piles. Well most farmers do.
>It costs money to have refuse hauled off. The poorer the farmer the
>more that cost seems less important than well eating.

Maybe if he didn't have to spend thousands of dollars on food for the
mink and ferrets he would have enough to clean up the place and eat!

Bill:
>One of the authors made a surprising discovery, cats are curious. Barn
>cats often end up being a rather mixed looking bunch. The cats are
>working animals on a farm. They are there to control pests; keeping
>mice out of the feed. But anyone familiar with barn cats might be
>actually surprised if the barn cats are all so friendly. The
>accusatory approach used in describing the cats backfires.

I believe that most of us know that cats are used to control rodents.
The only problem I see here is that they are carting off the ferrets
instead of mice and rats. Once again, I reiterate, if Doug closed down
he wouldn't have to buy food for the cats and he could afford his own!
Of course, he probably doesn't feed the cats, that is why they are
eating the ferrets.

Bill:
>It was cold wet and muddy.  Well it was wonter.  Mr McKay is not
>responsible for it being cold wet and muddy in winter in Ohio.

Wonter?!?!?? Is that a season?

Bill:
>TLE had mentioned wanting an impartial third party to observe.
>Fortunately she had her wish. THe federal, state and local
>governments have all been at McKay's farm over the years and have
>all decided, impartially, that the problems are not what the
>detractors claim.

De-tractor, De-tractor LOL! I feel like I am in a corn field!

Bill:
>No lawyer has been involved with MFRAN it seems obvious.

Are we fishing?

Bill:
>The bitten hand?  The victim seems to not know how to take care of
>herself.  She's let herself get infections based on the redness
>around the punctures.

All of the ferrets are biters. Trust me. No, I have not been bitten.
I'm not the caregiver and don't like to get bit.

>Sick ferrets?  I see a few pictures of an albino ferret with a full
>winter coat.  Like Cinnamon Sprite, I don't see the problem.

That ferret wasn't ill. It had a case of static electricity. A mistake
was made. I know Bill, you never make a mistake. By the way, I bet you
look great in your caped crusader outfit :-)

Mary G. Mewton