From:
Patricia Curtis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Jul 1997 11:06:50 -0700
Hi Patrice,

You wrote:
>I was wondering if anyone uses Merrick ferret food or has any information
>on it (like its nutritional stats or stories about its ... qualities).

Send me a list of ingredients (in order) and the analysis (percentages of
protein, fat, fiber, etc) and I'll offer an opinion for you.

As for the Mazuri, I am very familiar with it.  It (and the entire Purina
line) has far too much corn and grains in it for ferrets to gain much
benefit.  Ferrets cannot use "plant proteins", the total percentage of
protein listed on the package includes "plant proteins" so that number is
deceiving when you are shopping for ferret food.  Ferrets need a diet high
in animal protein and animal fat (poultry products are best).  Protein
content should be a minimum of about 30-32% (but the ingredients should show
it is "animal protein, primarily poultry), fat should be 20% or above for
those 3 and under.  Check out my web page where there is a paper written by
a Pet Nutrition Consultant/Veterinarian... http://www.flash.net/~ffrs
I think you'll find it very helpful.

>I am currently using Mazuri (a zoo feed for ferrets produced by the Purina
>company) and my friend whose family owns a feed store sells Merrick so I
>thought I may switch because it could be cheaper to do so.

My experience has been that if you cut corners on food you'll pay for it
with your kid's health.  I've seen too many come into the shelter on crappy
foods and stay "down" for months until they'd been on a good diet long
enough to replenish their body with much needed vitamins and nutrients.
Boomer has blood sugar problems now from a lousey diet he was on before he
came to the shelter.  I've even known of a poor diet leading to death, so
this is a very serious matter.  Stay away from "cheap foods".  Totally
Ferret is the best in my book, it has saved lives here.  Nutritional
*balance* is very important.  To my knowledge, Totally Ferret is the only
food that offers the proper balance for ferrets.  My second choice (for kids
under 3 years only) is Iams Kitten Food, it is not balanced exactly for
ferret's needs, but it provides better nutrition than any other food out
there (including the so-called "ferret foods"...except of course for Totally
Ferret).

I am sure some will argue, as always, with what I have said here, but my
opinions are based upon research and testing I have personally done, and,
most importantly, on results with the kids that come through here.  Totally
Ferret may seem expensive, but your ferrets will eat less, poop less, and be
*far healthier* on it, possibly preventing future vet bills.  I once broke
down the cost of Totally Ferret per animal per day and found that in most
cases it costs less to feed your ferret (for a single day) than it does to
buy a soft drink at a fast food place.  Surely our babies are worth that!!

Nutrition has been debated repeatedly on the FML, so I am sure you can find
plenty of info in the archives, or email me if you have further questions.

Trish
Director, Ferrets First Rescue & Shelter   (NOTE:  Please reply to me at
[log in to unmask]   I am having some odd problems with this Flashnet
address at the present time.)