From:
Dani Lucking <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Jun 1999 15:02:41 -0500
Over the Memorial Day holiday a friend and his girlfriend went to the
Birmingham zoo in Alabama's capital.  Somehow they got in a discussion with
one of the animal handlers who told them some "facts" about ferrets.  My
friend doesn't own ferrets, but does play with mine on a regular basis.
The keeper said she didn't recommend ferrets as pets for several reasons.
Among these included that the ferret hasn't been domesticated very long
and their instincts are still too wild to be predictable.  She also said
that the temperment of a young ferret isn't indicative of the temperment of
the same ferret when older.  She said that they only accept adult ferrets
at the zoo for handling for this reason.  She also said that even descented
ferrets smell too strongly for most people's taste and parents of children
who thought they were cute wouldn't agree with their kids when they got
them home and smelled them.  I got too upset to let him continue.  It is
bad enough that we have to fight the ignorance of the masses who
immediately say "You have ferrets?  Aren't they mean?" Now we have to fight
the ignorance of people in positions of authority telling people they
aren't really domesticated.  I was informed by a "friend" that when I have
a baby, I'll have to get rid of my ferrets.  I'm sick of everyone who has
never been a ferret owner telling me (and others) "facts" about ferrets.
Everyone who has met my ferrets in my home has been utterly charmed and
entertained by them.  They quickly forget the stupid "aren't they mean"
question they just asked me and start wrestling and playing with them.  I
am at a loss as to what to do, people.  There is enough ignorance about
enough subjects in the world without having my choice of pet attacked.  I
am not into snakes, but if someone has a ball python they claim is sweet, I
am not going to contradict them.  I guess I'm just frustrated.  I feel
overwhelmed at the task of educating the entire world and fighting people's
perceptions seemingly endlessly.  It's true of so many of my beliefs.

Sorry this is so long.