From:
Kevin Bonner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Jul 2000 12:29:17 EDT
"Kevin, I don't know what they did to the poor guy, but we're happy he is
with you now"

<sigh.....> Hi all !

The above comment was said by a clerk at the Petco that surrendered
Sasquatch to me.  Seems the tyke had been sold and after 2 days the
people returned him as being "a really bad biter".

I want to thank all of you who emailed me about the biting problem.  I
especially want to thank all the FML members who have dealt with the
"problem biter" and have posted their experiences on their web pages.
There is certainly a lot of wisom and insight out there.  Such a plethora
of knowledge we have in the FML.

Nori came over to help with the kids last night.  Based on Sasquatch's
actions we deduced the following:

He was afraid to leave the safety of his cage.  When out he would hide due
to the fear.  If you reached in for him he would bite out of fear.  If you
scruffed him he would bite.  If you held him up he would latch on.  He
would not close his eyes at all while being held.  He would not open his
mouth at all (not even for treats or yawn) while being held.

This lead us to believe that he was most likely dragged from his cage, did
something he should not have, ran and hid for safety , was dragged out and
punished, thrown back into the cage.  Sometime during this he may have been
dropped and struck the ground.  He would not close his eyes out of fear.
He would not open his mouth because he was punished for "biting" or trying
to bite.

We placed his cage on the floor and opened the door.  After a few minutes
of looking outside he finally felt safe enough to venture out.  He explored
for a few minutes.  When he saw a sudden movement he darted into a hidey
hole.

It was a while before he would come close enough to Nori or I.  We held out
our hands slowly to let him sniff.  He looked like he was going to bite,
but a firm "No bite!" made him stop and back away just a little.

Later on he let me pick him up.  After stroking him for a few minutes he
let out a deep 'sigh...' and closed his eyes.  I do beleive he is starting
to feel comfortable !

Warm Fuzzies ~~ !!

Kevin B and the Way Kewl Kritter Crew
~Simon~Lacey~Hershey~Sprite~Cuddles~Java~Miss Priss~Cinna~Racer~Patch~
~Mocha~Nikki~Selene~Missy~Yogi~Skooter~  and Mist the Fer-Kat
Foster Kids ~Willie~Christina~Nippy~Stubbie~
Guardian Fur-Angels ~Furrice~Lady~Zeus~Rascal~Socks~Muttley~Dookesbury
~Little Boy~
Missing our friends - Kimo the Sumo Cat (and Honorary Fert) and fellow
ferts ~Petey~, ~Nibbler~, ~Max~, ~Romeo~, ~Bandit~, and the other ~Romeo~
Saying "Hey!" to ~Pandora~, ~Noser~ and the rest of the Tennessee Brat
Pack !!
Please see KITY=^..^=KAT's Fur Faces, Memorial for Zeus
                  http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/2396/zeus.html
KRITTER KREW - http://hometown.aol.com/kwildheart/myhomepage/pet.html

Prayers to the ill and those who have gone before us.  Hug your fuzzies
while you can, hold them in your heart when you can't.