From:
Michelle Henry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Feb 2000 09:45:56 -0800
>I have been reading a lot lately about the rice boxes.  I would love to
>make one for my ferbutts but have a question or two.
>
>1. How much rice do you put in the box?

A few inches. I have 22 lbs in mine.

>2. (I have to ask) Is there a concern about them digesting the riceand
>causing a blockage?

Not if it is slow cooking rice.  Stay away from Minute
Rice and the like.  Slow cooking rice will not expand
in the time it takes for them to pass it.

>You always hear the horror stories about rice not being thrown at weddings
>anymore because the birds eat it, it expandsin their stomach and kills
>them.

This is what's called an Urban Legand.  It is more likely that the churches
were afraid the slippery rice would cause someone to fall and they'd be
sued.  However, saving birdies sounds nicer.