From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Oct 2003 13:46:14 -0400
BIG--this is long I know, but please let it in) I have to speak up here.
First of all, I can tell you why some post anonymously-- it's because so
many people go after anyone who has a slightly different opinion than
most on the list, also, if flames begin, no one knows who is saying what.
I guess that's a good way to go.  Most don't know how to have a debate,
they have to flame and start rumors.

What I can't stand to see here is so much disagreement when it comes to
shelters/rescues.  The bottom line is helping ferrets.  someone mentioned
"if you haven't walked the walk, don't criticize".  I agree with this
totally.  There have been several shelters that have closed in the past
because all they did was from time to time--ask for assistance.  I see
nothing wrong with this.  Yet, if they weren't in what seems to be a
"click" of shelters/people, they were attacked.What happens is there
are so many that become afraid to ask for help because certain people
start rumors and start flaming.  They try to do it alone without help,
sometimes this gets them in a bigger bind than what they were in.  I
think it's a sin that shelters have to be afraid to post that they need
help.  Do you actually know how many private/small shelters are in the
united states?  I'm not sure you do.  There is a major problem with
abandoned/surrendered ferrets, we still have not educated the pet stores
to the point where a person leaves knowing what they are getting into
and how to care for the ferret they just bought.  Result: giving the
ferret up later on, not caring for the ferret properly, passing the
ferret off to another uneducated person, setting the ferret free to fend
for itself,eventually in many cases unnecessary death.  Are there any
funds/campaigns to educate the pet store owners?  No, I haven't seen any.
It's going to take a big group project, thousands of printed literature
and handouts to pet stores.  Each individual shelter operator can only
do so much in their area.

I'm not sure what some people would like to see happen, if you think a
shelter is over loaded with ferrets when they are asking for help, what
is your solution to the problem?  Calling other rescues isn't the answer,
dumping another load on another over loaded shelter isn't going to help.
Help from the public is exactly what will help.  these people give up
their time and money to care for the ferrets, if you think they have a
normal social life, think again.  In most cases a shelter almost always
has some elderly, on feedings every 4 hours and meds.  This keeps one
home bound for sure.  Which brings me to a question on the most recent
rescue, I believe the person works until 7P.M., how in the world do they
do the feedings on the sick that have to be fed every 4 hours?

All I'm trying to say is, turning down a ferret because you have 82 is
sure death for the ferret most likely, networking with other shelters to
see if they have someone who wants to adopt is one thing to do, but don't
turn the ferret down, it's only going to suffer.

What people need to do is stop flaming shelters that are doing the best
that they can do with the numbers that are out there.  You need to
donate, it doesn't have to be money, send food, paper towels, laundry
detergent, baby food.  send $$ directly to the vet.  This way money isn't
placed into the hands of the operator and you might feel more like it's
actually going to the ferrets.  Or better yet, take in a few more
yourself.

The fighting over what shelters are good and who is bad has to stop,
in my opinion, all shelters are good, each one was started with good
intentions, yes, there may be a few that aren't doing it for the right
reasons, but, most are doing what they can.  I knew of a shelter that
at one time had 300 ferrets, all were cared for properly, all had play
time, all had clean cages and all had proper vet care.  The rescue had
wonderful people as volunteers.  It can be done.  But it takes a united
group of people, not a divided group of people.  Stop flaming and causing
more problems, these people will stop asking for help(which is for the
ferrets) and then things could get out of hand.  Think before you speak,
please.  As each shelter closes, that's more going into other shelters
who already have high numbers, then they begin to have problems.  Give if
you can.  the holidays are coming up on us, please stop bickering.

[SI]
(praying for the ferrets)

[Moderator's note: Anonymous posts -- especially controversial ones --
are not automatically approved.  They are decided on a case-by-case
basis.  I think requests for help from shelters go through a similar
thought process by FML (etc.) readers.  I agree that some people are
quick to judge, or even deliberately try to sway judgement, but I also
note there is only so much money to go around.  I, for one, want to
hear the pros and cons of a shelter so I can decide for myself where
to send my money.   And people DO have preferences, though I really
don't think they are too skewed: some people like shelter A, others
shelter B, and even others shelter C in spite of the fact someone on
the FML has badmouthed it -- or maybe BECAUSE it's badmouthed!  BIG]