From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Wed, 11 May 1994 16:18:53 -0400
First of all, congratulations to Michelle & your furry buddies who helped you
out--I'm glad all went well on the radio show!  Sounds as if you helped out the
cause of ferrets and made some new friends too!
***
Re: ferret owner burnout & ferrets being kept in cage in garage all the time--
Nothing makes my blood boil more than someone who gets tired of an animal after
a while.  Part of me feels it is not a good idea to "rescue" the owner by
relieving them of the animals. However, it is ultimately the animal who suffers
when they are left in an undesirable situation.

I think it's encouraging that your friend is willing to give up at least one of
the ferrets. Perhaps the two of you can work together to find a good home, so
your friend will take at least some of the responsibility. What state do you
live in? Is there a rescue group nearby that may know of a potential home? Is
there someone on the FML who lives in that area who may be able to help? Also,
would your friend be willing to give up both ferrets since it sounds as if
neither are being properly cared for?

Also, re: aggression--Although some animals are obviously more aggressive than
others, it may be that with adequate exercise these guys will calm down a bit.
Or it's possible that they may be better off adopted out as single ferrets. But
their disposition is bound to improve once they are out of their little prison.

Good luck. I hope you are able to help these little guys; they deserve a good
home.

--Cinderella's mom