From:
"M. Max" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Sep 1999 16:00:39 -0400
Ulrike Hassold spake thusly:

Subject: Eggs a la Raw

Eggs yolks can be fed raw but not the egg white unless it's cooked.
There's something in the egg white that destroys Biotin.  If you feed a lot
of whole raw eggs, the ferret could get a Biotin deficiency.  Don't know
if it makes the ferret anaemic, I think it causes hair loss.  I'm a bit
forgetful but know you should only feed raw egg yolks or cook/ boil the
egg.  Ulrike'''

Ulrike is correct about egg whites containing a substance that destroys
biotin (actually it binds up free biotin) - its called avidin. Cooked is
okay. Egg yolks raw used to be okay but since the poultry industry started
using so much antibiotics in chicken feeds, there is now a more virulent
(antibiotic resistant) strain of salmonella that in some cases can make its
way into eggs. I would be especially careful feeding raw egg yolks to
immuno-compromised or otherwise less-than-healthy ferrets or to young ferrets.

For my youngsters I take kibble, add water and microwave (makes it soft
with a nice gravy) . While it is still hot, I stir in an egg yolk. This
thickens the gravy nicely and cooks the yolk without making it the
consistancy of hard boiled egg (dry and grainy-yuck!). I also add some
babyfood meat to this.

BTW, only two people have taken Balsac's challenge and I haven't heard from
Balsac herself. You all too busy bashing each other to help me dispose of
$100?

The Challenge!
$5/correct weight guess up to $100 to be donated to either Balsac's vet
fund or a ferret shelter.

-Subject: Boris my wonder boy. He is not neutered (yet), weighed 1.1 lbs at
9 wks and 2.2 lbs at 12 weeks.

What will he weigh at 16 wks?????? Weigh in on Sept. 25th.

BTW, he is a hunk and deaf and clumsy but sweet as all get out.  This is in
contrast to his sister who is small and dark and faster than greased
lighting.

Max