Date:
Sun, 11 May 1997 22:50:55 -0500
Hey all.  Just wanted to say that I thought Donelle's idea about getting a
local (and the bigger the better) newspaper involved in the Kodo story was a
good one.  Less glitzy than TV spots, etc, but a *good* (just to qualify
that statement) reporter should be able to write a story that presents both
sides.  I think it might help add credibility to a bunch of people who like
unusual animals.  I think that often in our enthusiasm about our pets, we
come across very strongly.

I'm hoping that all will turn out okay.  I had to keep this whole incident
in mind when I took two of my ferrets out for an Education Day at a local
petstore this weekend.  I was a little paranoid about letting people handle
my animals, but then I thought, "hey, if we keep our guys locked away in our
houses, how can people *not* have misconceptions about them?"

On another note--my Edie (4+ yrs), had exploratory surgery a few months ago
and the vet found a severely ulcerated stomach.  She never grew her hair
back at the coat change, and now in fact, she's losing hair.  The vet
mentioned that when the surgery was done, it was noted that there was some
sort of "pre-adrenal" symptoms, but I was told just to keep an eye on it.
She's starting to lose weight, and also hair on her tail and the bottoms of
her feet and where her belly was shaved.  I guess I need to have the adrenal
surgery done, but I'm worried about her being so skinny (about 1 lb) and
having just recovered not too long ago from the other surgery.  Can I wait a
few weeks to try to fatten her up and take her to the vet in San Antonio
that I trust?  What's the expected lifespan for a ferret after adrenal
surgery?  What about without the surgery?  I know adrenal stuff has been
beaten into the ground, so personal replies are preferred.  I would
especially like to hear from people who have had weakened ferrets or ferrets
with ulcers undergo this procedure.

Thanks!
Kelly
Reverend Maynard, Edie, Cosette, Static, Magkij znak, and Geraden (fritts)
and the anti-dog, Sonar
                                   --->Kelly
 |\__\           /__/|          Head of Animal Optometry
 |  o o         o o  |          "Damn you, Let the Rabbits wear glasses"
/    =p=    =q=    \          University of Houston

(everybody's gotta love crappy ascii art...)
Reverend Maynard: "I'm not looking at you."  Edie: "Snore, squeak."
** "The following sentence is true.  The previous sentence is false." **