From:
Todd Cromwell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Thu, 23 Jun 1994 12:28:29 -0400
Re Scooter:

I wouldn't worry about Scooter being abnormal.  It sounds like he is
similar in personality to Seldon.  Seldon is a very serious ferret,
the most serious ferret I have met out of about 150-200 ferrets.
There are plusses and minuses to this; Seldon doesn't get into
mischief _nearly_ as much as Dors, but then he doesn't play as much as
Dors.  Seldon was billed as "very shy" when I got him from Ed Lipinsky
of Ferrets NW (I also got Dors there).  Seldon is also _very_ good at
meeting people -- he _never_ bites.  You can't _make_ him bite.  For
those who think that ferrets can "never be tamed", I'd like to put
them in a room with Seldon, and when he bites, they can come out.
Seldon meets a lot of people, who are amazed at how mellow he is.
Seldon never chews up anything.  Try towing Scooter around the house
in a blanket or sheet, or fold a sheet next to him -- Seldon likes
this game, and will play a little when you do it.  Seldon, like
Scooter, rarely vocalizes except when he's terrorizing/being
terrorized by other fuzzies.

I don't think that you've interfered with Scooter's development.  I
think he is just naturally more mellow than some other ferrets.  I
love Seldon, but I wanted also to have a playful ferret, as well as a
companion for Seldon, and those reasons are why I got Dors.  Her
personality is way different: playful, insane, assertive, mischievous,
less independent.  Her personality has plusses and minuses as well.
Of course, the plus side of both fuzzies _way_ outweighs any minuses.
People who don't like ferrets (and usually haven't met them) -- I ask
them, "do you have _any_ stuffed animals or Teddy Bears?  If you do,
you might indeed like ferrets".

The one ongoing challenge it sounds like you have is the litter
training.  I've posted my technique before; basically start with a
small area and expand as they do well.  Try a rumpled blanket in the
corner for an occasional mistake (this sounds like it won't work for
you).

Since you have a challenge in this area, you could go to a janitor
supply place and get some stuff that breaks down urine and feces (this
stuff works _way_ better than Resolve, in my opinion).  Also, don't be
afraid to lift the carpet and spray the substance under.

Try the Bitter Apple _paste_; I'd be _very_ surprised if Scooter would
think that the paste was irrelevant.

Re Abuse:

I agree with Dale Miller.  Though distasteful, I think it might be
more effective to be a little more friendly than you feel.  Also, you
might get water for the abused ferret yourself, and the abuser might
learn by example.  The problem is, it's really hard to inspire proper
caring in some people -- they don't realize their responsibility
toward another living animal, or even barely that the animal is alive.
I don't believe thay legislation is the answer, though, just lobbying
hard for an attitude change.  Also, you can't hope to save every
ferret, though, my hat off to those who choose to save some ferrets
(ferret shelters).

Todd Cromwell
Dors (stinkpot) and Seldon