From:
Bruce Levine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Jun 1996 06:59:56 -0700
Jim wrote:

>I need to know what others have paid for adrenal gland surgery, typically.
>I just got a quote for poor Felix for a minimum of $550, possibly over $900,
>depending on a one-hour job or two.  ...
>I mean, I love the little dude and I'll scrape it up somehow if that's what
>it takes, but dang...two and a half months ago, when I crashed a motorcycle,
>broke one arm and dislocated the other, my total bills incl.  ambulance and
>emergency room tinkering was less than that!!!

Hi Jim,

Nothing personal Jim but I suggest you check your medical bill again.  If
you include the portion YOUR INSURANCE paid (which incidentally you paid
indirectly through your premiums) you'll find that it came to a LOT more
than $900.  Compare apples to apples.

After reading your post, I remembered the adrenal sx I did last week and
tried to add up what it cost MY HOSPITAL to perform it.  This was quite a
feat for me in that I've always hated business management stuff with a
passion.  Taking into account such things as equipment (ultrasound,
surgical, ect.), materials (diagnostic and surgical), personnel salaries,
utilities, cost of the building/hr, ect., I'm not even sure the $300 you
griped about is even at the BREAKEVEN POINT.

I, like almost all vet, practice my profession as a labor of love, but
unfortunately we can not continue to stay in the business of helping our
patients if our charges are LESS than what it costs us to perform them.
Incidentally, I contacted a MD friend of mine and he tells an uncomplicated
adrenalectomy performed in a human facility costs at least $10,000!
Personally, I think that's outrageous, but that another topic for another
Email list.

Bruce S. Levine, DVM