From:
Debi Rodvelt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Jul 2000 17:15:18 -0500
Help!

I have to admit that I never thought this would happen to me.  I have read
many messages about a new ferret and the old ones hating each other.  Mine
have always met a new family member like they were long lost friends,
playing together right after the first butt sniff.  Unfortunately, that has
changed with number seven.

The old guys have seen the still nameless new girl from afar in her
isolation cage.  Then they were allowed to sniff each other through the
cage.  I have switched their bedding around so everyone has had a chance to
smell each other.  I let her have her first inspection of the house while
the others were sleeping in the dresser drawer.  She acted like a typical
ferret exploring everything, doing a little war dance here and there.  She
doesn't have any problem with the cats.  Then the other ferrets woke up and
came in to check her out.

All out WAR was started.  The girl who is usually the most territorial is
surprisingly the only nice one.  One is totally indifferent to her, but the
other four are attacking her.  She wasn't afraid of them for the first
minute, but now that they have been so vicious, she screams, runs away, and
buries her face so they can't bite it.

I knew to expect some fighting to establish dominance, but even my gentle
ones are biting her face and neck and shaking as hard as they can.  I've
never seen anything like it before.  She is terrified.

I tried giving them all a bath, so they would smell similar.  It didn't
help.  I have tried holding each one with her individually to let them look
the other one over, but she hides her face and won't look at or smell them.

I don't know anything about her history.  She is probably around three
years old and is in very good health.  Her owners just dropped her off at
the animal shelter because they didn't want her anymore.

I have my house set up for my babies.  They have the run of the entire
place.  I would love to let her experience the toys and play chase and
cuddle with my others, but right now I have to keep her in a cage by
herself.  Any suggestions?  Ideas?

Thanks so much!
Debi
and the seven wonder weasels