From:
Debbie Utter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Sep 1998 08:50:07 -0400
Sukie said it very well.  I want to emphasize two parts of her post: "When
the poster asked that medical pointers and questions not be in ferret-speak
I identified with that individual." and "Using ferret speak for serious
subjects could turn out to be everyone's loss." I am what I would call an
inexperienced ferret owner.  I depend on this FML as my primary source of
help and information.  Because I'm trying to learn as much as I can so I
can take the best care of my two ferrets, I read every word of the FML, but
usually skip over posts in ferret speak simply because they take me three
times as long to read.  I really tried to get through the post about the
prolapsed rectum but was frustrated at how much time I was spending trying
to get through it; I eventually gave up.  I cut-and-paste many posts for
future reference; I don't bother to cut-and-paste posts done in ferret
speak--no matter how important--simply to have to read through it again (or
edit it) in case I ever need the information.  Stories written from a
ferret's perspective are cute and keep the FML light-hearted, but posts
dealing with "medical pointers and questions" should, IMO, be in plain
English.  I don't mean to upset anyone, just stating my opinion, but asking
the writer(s) of ferret speak to keep in mind that the FML consists of many
inexperienced ferret owners; multiply that by the number of ferrets in
their care who could lose out on the benefit of the information being
posted, and you begin to understand.