From:
Dough Knees <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Mar 1998 08:53:33 -0500
Hi,

I'm looking for a little experienced suggestions here.  I've got two
creatures.  One, "Fee" a male i am told is about 3 months or so old.  I
recently introduced a new cutie "Millie Grace" and when the two of them are
together, they seem to mostly bite each other.  The problem is Fee is at
least two or three times the mass of Millie Grace.  Sometimes Fee will just
get on top of her and hold her down and bite her.  She will bite back.
Sometimes Fee will bite her by the scruff of the neck, and pull her around.
I have some pvc tubing which i have for them to use as a play place when
running around my bedroom.  Sometimes Fee will grab her by the scruff of the
neck and push her into the tubing.  Sometimes he'll just carry her around by
the scruff.  I've read that these critters can play hard and it may be
alarming to other animals (us) at how they play.  I keep them in separate
cages, side by side, switching cages w/ferrets every night.  Hoping that one
day they will share the same cage.  Sleep together and provide each other
company when they are in the cage.

The questions I have is.  Should I be concerned about Fee's behavior?  Will
he hurt her, or is this some sort of strange (to me) bonding experience?
Millie is about 7 or 8 weeks old btw.  Should I leave these two alone ever?
Will they mellow?  Do i need to just let them spend time together daily
until Millie gains some size and can fight back a little better?  She does
chase him too btw..

Other questions, geographically speaking..  Does anybody in the Northern
part of Charlotte NC have any recommendations for vets here?  And finally
one question which i may not be having to worry about after April, but I
wanna know anyway.  How harmful is second hand smoke to ferrets?  Tobacco
smoke?  Will it shorten the lengths of their lives?  I don't have this
filthy addiction mind you, but i have a friend who does, and has a couple
of critters.  Any feul to help her quit smoking on a ferret's life basis
would be greatly appreciated!

nugs,
-joe

--