From:
Kristen Dixie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Aug 2001 12:03:25 -0400
Hey Everyone....

I haven't been around and reading for the past couple of weeks b/c I've
been busy but...I'm looking/needing some advice/info.  Last Thursday
[08.02.01] I took my little Mr. Monster to the vet's for his rabies shot.
While there, I asked the vet if she would have a look at his right front
leg b/c he seemed to be favouring it.  I didn't think it was anything *too*
serious b/c he walked fine, climbed fine, didn't mind being held or touched
and still played with the dog.  All in all, it didn't seem to be bothering
him really so I figured that he was simply suffering from a bruise or a
slight sprain at the very worst.  Knowing that I was going to the vets for
his rabies, I never scheduled another appointment earlier.  Anyways, she
took a look at his leg and discovered that no, there was no bruising or
sprain rather, it was....a dislocated elbow!!!  She was completely amazed
that he had been acting normal and that there had been no indications of
serious pain.

I couldn't believe it when she told me that!  So, to make this long story
short, she kept him overnight, did x-rays and attempted the next morning to
pop it back into place but it wouldn't stay so, my poor, brave baby boy had
to have surgery.  And we weren't even sure how well that was going to work
out!  But, he came home Saturday afternoon, his right leg wrapped tight all
the way up to his shoulder [he'd all ready removed the first one they had
on there before he came home which is why they had to put it up so high]
and he seems to be doing fine.  In fact, the only problem he has is that he
is currently a three-legged fuzzy b/c he's unable to use the front leg so
he's gotta relearn to balance himself [which he seems to be mastering quite
well now!].  Also, he's on strict bed rest so, he spends most of his time
in his cage sleeping.  I take him out for brief periods of cuddling and a
little walking around/exploring but I don't like having him out too much
b/c it seems that someone forgot to inform Oscar that he's suppose to be in
pain!!  I put him down on my bed last night thinking he'd just walk around
and get a little exercise [he's REALLY p*ssed at having to be in his cage
so long....he's dying to play!!] and no sooner had I taken my hands off him
then he suddenly started doing a wild, happy ferret dance, throwing his
injuried body all over.  I grabbed him so fast!!  I can't believe that he
would be that energetic with such a serious injury!!

Anyways, I'm wondering if anyone out there has had a ferret who has
dislocated or broken something and if their crazy little fuzzbutt was still
the same ol', same ol' little monster!?!?  I have to say, that through all
of this Oscar has been perfect.  The vet was not only surprised at how high
a pain tolerance he had, but she was happily surprised at what a GREAT,
social boy he is [he's making me a VERY proud mama!!]

So tomorrow we go in for a check-up and hopefully, I'll get the news that
the bandage is coming off soon...I don't know how much longer I can keep
the little monster-man still!!  But any ideas, information or advice would
be greatly appreciated!

Thanks everyone!

  ~ DiXiE ~

p.s.  I read in an early post from someone [I'm sorry, I don't remember
who!] about how safe crystal cat litter is.  Well, a co-worker gave me
some of hers b/c her cat didn't like it.  I thougth that it would work
great....it's really good at absorbing....however...when I first put it
in, Oscar thought it was GREAT fun to play in.  Annoying at most times
[litter was going everywhere!!] but the litter was in perfectly little
balls that were just tiny enough to fit into his nostrils.  And they would
get stuck in there so that I would have to remove them for him b/c he
sometimes was uanble to "snuff" them out!  So, I would highly warn against
using it!  I wouldn't suggest that anyone use it unless of course, their
type of litter is in larger form that what mine was.

I must also add this.....if you allow your ferret[s] to play with your
dog[s] or even your cat[s] PLEASE be careful.  I think [but I'm not
certain] that my one dog might be the reason why Oscar dislocated his
elbow.  They love to play and they're good with each other and I do watch
them but....accidents happen.  Remember.....no matter how small your dog
is [Joey is only around 22lbs] ferrets are ususally still a LOT smaller
[Oscar's only 2lbs].  So, I'm not saying stop it...I'm just saying be
careful of it!  I know Joey didn't mean to hurt him [IF it even was her!]
but like I said...accidents happen when playmates are that mis-matched!

[WOW!  Sorry this is so long guys!]