From:
Rebecca Stout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Mar 2002 14:05:53 EST
It was brought to my attention last week that a link to page about bite
training (particularly in fear biters) page was bad.  It now tries to go
to that page, but then redirects to a porn site.  OKay well not now,
because Kat Parsons, who is the webdesigner of my site took it down for
me.  But this has been on the rise this year no?  It's been reported to
yahoo in the mean time to which they have not replied (but that does't
mean they aren't taking action).

In anycase, I just wanted to say if anyone has tried to go to that biting
site and has experienced this, I'm so sorry.  It has been taken care of
and hopefully we'll have that page back up and running in the future (not
the porn one lol).

How does this happen?  Does this mean that someone hacked into my site or,
is it done by other means?  Does anyone know?

Wolfy

Please visit:
http://www.geocities.com/wolfysluv/
for information on ferret deafness:
http://www.geocities.com/wolfysluv/deaf.html

[Moderator's note: It's a little more sticky than this, but briefly:
Every web site's "domain" (the last part of the web address, e.g.
ferretcentral.org is the domain for www.ferretcentral.org) has to be
registered to someone.  The registrations only last for a limited amount
of time before they must be renewed.  If someone is late in renewing,
then their domain name is up for anyone to grab.  Porn site operators
reserve the names and as soon as someone is late with a renewal payment
the porn operator takes over the site, changing it to their own content.
This way they get all the visitors who normally would go to the old site
to view their porn site.  Yes, usually the original owner can fight to
get the name back but by then the damage has been done.  Porn's a sleazy
business in more ways than one.  BIG]