From:
Laurie Walz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Jan 2000 04:45:15 -0500
There has been a great deal of fallout regarding the placement of Taylor,
the Tampa ferret.  and subsequently a loss of perspective as to what the
most important issues are, and should be, in these cases.

We all share the same desire -- that homeless ferrets should be placed in
loving homes.  I was greatly impressed by the rapid mobilization of
resources within the state of Florida when Taylor's plight became known.
She was in a desirable situation in a very short time, which is good news.
How fortunate that information about homeless ferrets can be shared over
such a large network of concerned persons, and how wonderful that so many
people got involved and offered their help to this animal and her fomer
owner.

Given the magnitude of the problem of homeless animals in the US, I think
that we should all be delighted that so many persons were interested in
helping, and that so many excellent options for Taylor's future life were
available.

I am saddened by the conflicts that have arisen though, that persons should
be harrassed, that people who simply tried to help are feeling distraught
because they have found themselves unwittingly in the middle of a conflict,
and that persons of good character who share a deep love of ferrets and are
dedicated to their welfare should be divided among themselves over which
specific of good accommodations eventually worked out for the ferret in
need.

I urge all the parties involved in this and future placement situations to
cooperate, and work jointly for the welfare of ferrets.

1) We should agree that homeless ferrets should be placed in loving homes,
or assisted in placement in loving homes.

2) We should share information about resources available for placement --
simply to ensure that the ferret does not end up in a clearly undesirable
situation, such as an abusive or neglectful home, or a laboratory.

3) As long as they are placed in a desirable situation, be it a caring
shelter or the home of a loving owner, we should be satisfied that we
have done our duty.  We may have disagreements over which placement is
more desirable over another, but as long as the animal is being taken care
of responsibly, we should put aside our personal disagreements.

4) It is disappointing when a ferret we have set our hopes on adopting
ourselves is adopted out elsewhere.  But we must keep proper perspective --
the welfare of the ferret in need must come before our desire to have it
for ourself.  If the ferret has been placed in a desirable situation, we
should rise above our personal desires and feel happy for the animal, and
wish it and its new caregiver all the best.  Homelessness is such a serious
problem that there will always be opportunities to help by taking another
needy animal in and caring for it for the rest of its life.

Laurie Walz, UF, Gainesville, Florida