From:
DPJP zona <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 May 1998 22:56:51 EDT
Hi guys,
Seems that I only write when I have some sort of scare here but I have to
pass on what I see to you.

Being a ferret Dad for 8 years now I've gotten accustomed to recognizing a
dangerous situation when I see it but this one I didn't get to in time to
fix.

The speakers on my stereo have a cover over one of the openings that is made
of this perforated metal grate to prevent things from getting into the
enclosure.  By perforated metal I mean a metal plate that has tiny (3/32")
holes pierced in it to make it into sort of a screen.

The other day I was sitting down to dinner and Shpanky was out to run when I
heard him start to scream.  Immediately I knew what was happening and I was
there in a flash.  As ferrets will, he tried to scratch the grate and got a
toenail caught in one of the perfectly sized holes and was terrified.

Now I'm thinking he's broken a toe in his struggle so I'm all worked up and
for one moment I was talking *very* loud until I realized that maybe I was
making *him* more scared so I started talking in a calmer voice to get him
to calm down.  After taking control, I was able to free his toenail from the
grate and but for a little "sympathy limp" he was fine.  Again I felt like a
JERK for getting my little guy in trouble and not buying that entertainment
center to put those speakers on so this wouldn't happen.

Just goes to show you, that even after all those years of fatherhood, things
happen, especially when you're dealing with the smartest animal on the face
of the earth.

                  Hugsandkissestothefuzzies
                  Daniel Poryanda