Date:
Fri, 18 Aug 2006 00:54:03 -0400
I'm in Canada and not very near Cleveland.  I've had limited
correspondence for Jean in the past, and admire her very much.

I would like to point out that Jean herself has tried not to burden the
fml with her shelter building costs.  I believe most of her fundraising
efforts for the building has been local (read the poop corner on her
website:
http://www.ferretsunlimited.org/).
like any other shelter, her shelter is only asking for volunteers.

I'm sure that she knows, better than anyone else, what a mix blessing
the donation of a building is.  Karen & Anon [JY] posted some very real
concerns.  an additional one I want to mention is the public opinions
and expectations that has already come up:

   she already has enough money for a building - why should we help?

I would answer that by asking : what are the benefits of a public
building?

for Jean in particular
  - free up her house space so she and her family can have a life
    again, a place where she can escape, briefly, from the stress
    of running a shelter

for the ferrets
  - I understand that if the shelter is in its own building, more
    foundations would be willing to consider grants to the shelter
  - more space for the ferrets
  - more space for education (I can't imagine bringing a classroom
    of kids to a shelter in a private home)
  - more media exposure.  a visible public building can't hurt.  what
    rescue do you think would be taken more seriously by media, one
    in a private home or one in a public building?
  - it sets a precedent.  I don't know of any building donated to a
    ferret cause before.  maybe someone else will see this and set up
    a trust fund for ferrets.  or donate property to another shelter
    running out of space

I don't know how many of the reasons I listed above are valid, but I'm
inviting everyone on the FML to add to my reasoning, whether positive
or negative.  I think there are long term benefits ot having a building,
as well as disadvantages.

next, let's list the costs, most of which has been pointed out.

monetary costs already covered
  - land and building

shelter operating costs
  - food
  - litter
  - bedding
  - vaccines, ADV tests
  - medications
  - surgeries
  - office supplies
  - cleaning supplies

one time costs
  - cages
  - laundry equipment
  - furniture

building associated costs (cons of a public building)
  - travelling
  - electricity and hydro
  - phone
  - taxes and insurance?

man power
  - one-on-one care for medical needs
  - day to day ferret care
  - weekly laundry
  - vet trips
  - accounting
  - fund raising

now, let's list the where the money/supplies could come from

for any shelter
  - donations
  - SOS
  - funds through affiliate links
  - adoption fees
  - surrender fees
  - vet clinic days

for a shelter with a public building
  - grants from government and other organization
  - school tours (probably no charge, but might help with donations)?
  - fees for intro to ferret care lectures?
  - rent out location for gatherings?
  - rent out a room for a pet store?
  - rent out premises for grooming?
  - how about boarding ferrets?
  - bake sales?
  - outdoor concerts?
  - commissions for ferret products created by someone else?
  - billboard advertising
  - supply sources
      - donations
      - free cycle
      - garage sales
      - volunteers can help with painting, repairs?
  - anybody got more ideas?

as for volunteering..  I think that in a public building, it would be
possible to get more volunteers.  more space would accommodate more
people, and I believe it would be possible to get more young volunteers,
whose parents may be less willing to have their kid go to someone's
house.  you can even have kids volunteer to run a store or something.

I think Anon [JY]'s description of the shelter with all new furniture,
medical and surgical rooms really is a dream shelter.  I'd like to add
an outdoor playground to it :).  perhaps Jean will let us know what the
layout of the building would be like, so we can brain storm based on
solid information.  as far as I know, sheltering isn't only Jean's _job_,
it is pretty much __her life__, so lets be positive about her dream.
the above are only my ideas, share yours.

please post if you have any more pros, cons, any positive ideas to help.
please share your experiences if you already have a separate building for
your shelter or sanctuary.  lets help Jean with our ideas and support!

dooks to Jean's Ferret Unlimited Ferret Shelter

Selina, Clef, Popcorn, Sorin & Mochi