From:
Coppandco <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Nov 2000 19:36:00 -0800
I am hoping that any vets, or other ferret people with experience in
ferret pathology can answer my question.

We recently lost Gizmo - a much loved deaf, blazed ferret.

The pathology report was quite extensive and listed:

1: extensive left ventricular hypertrophy,

2: diffuse small cell lymphosarcoma,

3: hepatic lipidosis with mild hepatitis, diffuse infiltration of
intestinal mucosa and submucosa by uniform population of small lymphocytes
and associated with considerable atrophy

4: pheochormocytoma of adrenal extending in to adjacent adipose with
neoplastic polygonal cells consistent with origin from medullary tissue
infiltrating as well as compressing adjacent cortical tissue.

I have a medical background so I understand the pathology report - however
my question is: Is a pheochromocytoma of the adrenal common in ferrets.?
I hear about adrenal tumours all the time but this is the first ferret
that we have had that has had one so I have no idea whether or not this is
a common adrenal tumour or not.

In medicine, phenochormocytomas are a rare occurrence and associated with
hypertension.

Hoping someone on the list can help

Thanks
Coppandco