From:
Sara Gennusa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Aug 2004 10:20:06 EDT
Hey FMLers,
I've been MIA for a long time now, and for that I sincerely apologize.
However, I do need your help now with a very big situation.  I recently
visited St. Thomas in the US Virgin Islands, and fell in love with the
territory as a whole.  I had already planned on coming down for a few
months and leaving my ferrets in the hands of a competent ferret sitter,
but when I realized that they were legal there (much to my surprise),
I've been trying to find the safest way to get them down there.  I called
several airlines and let me tell you, their policies SUCK!!!  Delta seems
the safest way to get them from NJ to USVI, but they don't have any
non-stop flights, so I'd be concerned with them changing planes.  My
other option is driving them down to Atlanta (a 14-17 hour trip)and then
flying them the short distance from Atlanta to St.  Thomas (Two hours at
most).

What I've read is that if pets are in cargo, the compartment must be
pressurized, no exceptions.  Delta has specially trained employees who
deal with the pets, part of their special Pets First program.  I would
ideally take them as a carry-on, but they only allow two pets per flight
in the cabin, and each must go with a traveller.  I can't separate my
four fuzzbutts like that, because I think the stress of flying single
will upset them too much.

Does anyone have any experience flying their fuzzies?  We receive
air-shipped ferrets all the time at the store without a hitch, but I'd
still like your opinion.  I wouldn't be able to live with myself if
anything happened to my babies.

Sincerely,
Sara and the Fuzzy Four