From:
"Michael Dutton, DVM, DABVP" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Dec 1996 08:35:24 -0500
**The advice dispensed by myself in reference to FML postings is not meant
to supplant the advice of veterinarians who are in charge of the patient.
If the patient is not currently under the care of a veterinarian, the client
is recommended to take their ferret to one.**

>From:    Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: blockage?!?!
>What are the tried & true warning signs for a potential blockage in a
>ferret??

Unfortuantely there are not tried and true signs of an obstruction other
than the lack of barium passing on an x-ray.

>From:    Sherrie Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: sick dweezil
>I'm having a problem with my little Dweezil.  Sable Female MF, age 3.5
>months.  Beginning of last week, i noticed that she wasn't eating her food
>(Iam's kitten food) and I was finding little piles of it thrown up ...

A little young for the ferret to have gastric ulcers, helicobacter symptoms
but it is a possibility.  I would start the standard therapy of amoxicillin,
sucralfate and peptobismol and monitor.

>From:    Linda Doran <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Red blood count
>Esperanza had her annual blood test this week and her red blood cell count
>came back quite high (79 percent and normal is about 45).  Does anyone know

Physiologically a high packed cell volume (PCV) or hematocrit is most
associated with dehydration.  Second is lab error.  Third is some type of
metabolic disorder (very uncommon in ferrets).  I would have your vet do
some research since once the PCV gets over 60 percent, the blood can become
too thick to travel through the capillaries appropriately.

>From:    Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Helicobactor
>I need to know if anyone out there has ever had a ferret with this disease
>and how your treatment went.  Did you have major troubles?  How did you get
>them to eat the medicine?  How long before you saw signs of improvement?

Helicobacter is VERY common in ferrets. Check out the FAQ on it for details.
It can be a frustrating disease but most are manageable.

>From:    John Rosloot <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: green eyes/red eyes
>>From:    Regina Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
>>I was just wondering if anyone knows why some ferrets' eyes reflect red and
>>others green...
>I've often wondered the same thing.  Cassie's eyes glow pink and Sammy's
>glow green.  When Bud was alive his eyes glowed yellow.

The color they glow is a reflection from a pigmented layer in the back of
the eye called the tapetum .  Not all of the retina has a tapetum so
different colors are possible.

Mike Dutton, DVM, DABVP
Weare Animal Hospital
Weare, NH, USA