From:
Kim VanderLaan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Oct 1998 02:15:44 EDT
Thank you to everyone who responded to my questions about the age and
behavior of my new kit.  Thanks to the dentition posts, I now know my baby
is less than 7 weeks old (no sign of adult canines).  Her behavior can be
explaned by her age and the stress of leaving Mom, being mixed with new
kits - possibly several times, spaying, traveling, etc.  She is eating and
drinking well.  She has even gotten the idea of a litter box's purpose
(pooping, not sleeping, digging, etc.)!  She is integrating herself well
with the older two.  I have been finding her sleeping with one or both all
day.  I'm very pleased with how well everything is going so far!

I have a question for the vets on the list: Is it OK to worm with Pyrantel
Pamoate (Strongid-T)?  I am a wildlife rehabber and have this on hand.  I
have used it successfully in many species and assume it is safe, but I
would like confirmation if possible, please.

I also have a question for breeders: What age do you consider optimal for
weaning?  I'm currently (as of today) giving her a slurry of Totally Ferret
wetted with water to a mush (cream of wheat consistancy) mixed with Iams
canned kitten food.  I'm adding the optimal rehabbing diet for skunks
(because my book doesn't list any form of weasel/mink/etc.  infant formula
and skunk is as close as I can get).  The skunk formula is a combination of
Esbilac and MultiMilk.  When all is mixed together, the consistency is only
a bit looser than cream of wheat.  She is eating this very eagerly.  The
reason for my question is that I want to know when the best time is to cut
back and then cut out the Esbilac/MultiMilk part of the slurry.