From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Apr 2006 09:23:36 -0400
>Even more shocking is that I've been told that ferrets can also grow
>adrenal tissue at random anywhere in the body, making it difficult to
>find during laparoscopic surgery.

Well, it tends to be in the general area of the adrenals, I think.  I
don't know how widely the stray cells that then start replicating can
move when those occur.  It would be interesting to learn more about
that when possible, actually.

>So, my vet referred me to a vet who implants ferrets with a time-
>released experimental drug called Deslorelen (sp?).  He has had huge
>success with this.  Lucy ended up having to be implanted 3 times.  My
>poor "baby" may be his first case in 1,000 where the drug does not work.
>But she was more advanced by the time we determined what was happening.
>We're watching her hematocrit level closely.  It's on the low end of
>normal.  That is not good.  She's been put on an estrogen blocking drug,
>as well.

I am sorry to hear that she was not responsive.

Deslorelin (Hope I spelled it right. LOL!) implants are the Suprelorin
depot.  There are some countries where it is already an approved drug for
this use, and others, like the U.S., where it is still experimental while
the USDA considers approval.  Approval typically takes about two years
according to what was printed at that time (but can take longer) and the
process began maybe a year ago (?).  Suprelorin is similar to Lupron in
many ways, but it is much cheaper and the implants typically last for a
far longer time.  There are something like 3 or 4 completed studies
involving it, and I know of an ongoing U.S.  study for it as treatment,
and an on-going study based from the Netherlands where it is being
studied as a possible preventative and more.  It is very exciting reading
the results of such studies when they become available.  There is always
so much to learn.

>I am getting my other 3 ferrets implanted even though 2 are showing
>mild signs of adrenal dx and one is not showing any signs.  The
>referred-to vet said that he routinely implants ferrets starting at age
>3-4 and every 2 years after that.  He's finding that they tend to do
>very well and live longer.

COOL!  So, he is looking at prevention, too.

i am VERY EXCITED by your news on that score, esp. the longevity part!

I do not know if Suprelorin can be or is used with melatonin.  Do you
know the answer to that, Ellen?  Anyone else?

What are the others meds she is on, Ellen?

-- Sukie (not a vet, and not speaking for any of the below in my
private posts)
Recommended health resources to help ferrets and the people who love
them:
Ferret Health List
FHL Archives
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/
AFIP Ferret Pathology
http://www.afip.org/ferrets/index.html
Miamiferrets
http://www.miamiferret.org/fhc/
International Ferret Congress Critical References
http://www.ferretcongress.org