From:
Patricia Curtis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Nov 1996 10:00:38 -0800
"J. Matthew Saunders" wrote:
>I got my critter some petramalt for his hair balls.  ...They say on the box
>that the beastie shouldn't eat for two hours before medication or two hours
>after.... I wouldn't want to leave that critter without food for four
>hours... would I?

No, certainly not.  Basically, ignore the instrictions on the box, as they
apply to cats, not ferrets.  Normal dosage I use here at the shelter is
about one inch of hairball medicine once weekly during non-shedding periods
during the year.  If the ferrets are going through coat changes, then they
get that amount at least twice per week.  If I suspect a blockage I may give
this dosage (one inch) up to 5 times a day to "clean out the system" for up
to 4 days in a row.  If there in so improvement in the situation I was
worried about, then they go straight to the vet for x-rays or ultrasound
and/or surgery for blockage.

It is important to keep your ferret on the maintenance dose, or twice weekly
dose.  Hairballs KILL!!!  and all ferrets are at risk of gettting hairballs.

Ferrets need to eat at least every two to three hours, FOOD SHOULD BE
AVAILABLE AT ALL TIMES!!!  The only time your ferret should be without food
(especially for "long" periods) is at the direction of a vet for test
purposes, perhaps to diagnose such health problems as Insulinoma or
Hypoglycemia.

Kisses to the fuzzies.

Trish