From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Aug 2006 13:41:06 -0400
For those seeking info from reputable expert sources on food.  Check
recent Ferret Magazines till you find the one on Performance Foods.
Tom Willard's doctorate is in veterinary nutrition, and that is the BEST
background to seek in those you quote on the topic.  You should also be
able to search in general search engines like Google.com or more
specialized search engines on obligate carnivores

Go to the FHL Archives address in my signature and look for posts from
twpfi

You do NOT need to fill in any other search boxes.  There are 36 such
posts.

My recollection is that there should be some in the FML Archives but I
could not locate any posts from Dr. Willard there on a quick look-see.

Don't forget PubMed
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi
but a quick check there seeking on
"obligate carnivore"
directs to only two articles.

Here are veterinary search engines which could be the very best places
for you to use in your investigation:
http://www.medvet.umontreal.ca/biblio/vetjr.html
(The one above gives journal contents from hundreds of journals and
conference proceedings and it is updated daily.)
http://netvet.wustl.edu/search.htm
http://c-library.um.ac.ir/veterinary_medicine.asp
and there are more

 ---
The people at Answers.com and a number of us talked last week about
ways to resolve the incorrect content problem.  They wound up not
quoting that incorrect segment at the MedicineNet site and adding a
wonderful CDC page as being the best on the web.  (BTW, I don't know
if that error was ever at the WebMD site, too.)

Honestly, I am VERY IMPRESSED by Answers.com.  When presented with
reputable expert resources they responded almost immediately with a
correction solution that did not cause problems with the copyrights
of the places they pay to quote but at the same time not only removed
bad content from their own page but also helped readers find the most
accurate information available.  I told them so in a thank you letter,
too.

I can NOT say that I am impressed by the WebMB people who administer
http://www.medicinenet.com/rabies/article.htm

and as a result I have to hold the rest of their write-ups in on ANY
topic in question, which is sad because they rely on accuracy to have
their purported value.  As of Sunday, August 27th, they still have NOT
made the correction to that URL.  That is despite them having heard
from an MD (pediatrician) who is a retired Captain with the U.S. Public
Health Service, and who has published on the topic of bite stats, Dr.
Freddie Ann Hoffman.  So, I am seeing if they can get notes from soem
at the CDC, and at least one of the Public Health Veterinarians (who
are BOTH veterinarians and epidemiologists, some with double doctorates,
and others with doctorates in veterinary medicine and masters in
epidemiology) who were the National Association of State Public Health
Veterinarians committee members studying the CDC work that led to
improving the Compendium of Animal Rabies Prevention and Control.  Let's
face it, if they ignore the CDC and NASPHV experts then ALL content at
both MedicineNet and WebMD will have to be held in questions because
there simply are not any better experts on this topic than the CDC and
NASPHV experts.

Luckily, UNLIKE MedicineNet and WebMD, right now I have to admit to
be very, very positively impressed by the content control people at
Answers.com who did a WONDERFUL and rapid job of correcting their own
site once they were provided with both accurate data and reputable expert
resources.  I know that they are hoping that the content control people
of WebMD and MedicineNet follow through, too, and are watching them to
see if and when they do.  I am very happy with Answers.com due to their
follow-through.

-- Sukie (not a vet, and not speaking for any of the below in my
private posts)
Recommended health resources to help ferrets and the people who love
them:
Ferret Health List
FHL Archives
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/
AFIP Ferret Pathology
http://www.afip.org/ferrets/index.html
Miamiferrets
http://www.miamiferret.org/fhc/
International Ferret Congress Critical References
http://www.ferretcongress.org