From:
Barbara Clay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Feb 2004 21:44:11 -0800
In a previous post, perhaps you read that I am fighting being
incapacitated from a serious car accident that happened on January 20th.

December 30th 2003, I met with Maryland Delegates Boteler and Cluster,
and revised the Ferret Protection Bill, from what I had introduced 2
years ago.

Because of my physical circumstances I haven't been able to be as
pro-active as I would desire, and be involved as much as this Bill
deserves.  <serious understatement!  lol>

I am in no way, out of the fight to see HB1136 win it's fight in
Maryland.  I was literally lifted and put into a car and assisted to a
recent meeting with the Delegates.  Thank you Jade Steelman from North
Carolina.  She also attended the meeting and lent her voice.

From my experience in working with other states and their Bills/Laws, and
efforts in implementing them, and very much the lecture from Bob Church
at Ferret Symposium 2003, I chose a new approach in legislation.  I met
with Maryland Delegates Boteler and Cluster on December 30th, 2003 and
brought to the table a new Ferret Protection Bill.

So major thanks to Bob Church, and also Jim Kennedy from Maine, for
working with me and providing knowledge and experience in presenting
what I believe with all my heart, to be a ground breaking piece of
legislation.

The key to any legislation/LAW, is how enforcible it is.  12 week rule
rocks!  It's simple.  An Officer observes milk teeth (double teeth) in
a ferret, and they have a crime.

Bob Church, at Symposium, discussed the need of recuperation of surgery;
the need of meds and rest.  I heard him loud and clear, and thought of
breeder farm kits.  The Bill has later alter, and cage rest, before
shipping, built into it.

Bob's lecture, had so many facets of ferret wellness.  But this one
point, really struck home for me.  It was all about healing and potential
good health.  His lecture lead me to incorporate into Maryland's new Bill
a recovery time post-op.

This recovery time steps on kits being mass surgically altered, then
crated and shipped all over the world.  Recovery from surgery is
critical... makes sense to me, especially right now!!!!  lol

I hope you all see the merit in this ground breaking Bill and join me in
supporting it.

If you do; Here's what I am asking from you.

Write me your letters of experience, pics if possible, vet documentation,
of having purchased kits from pet stores and any medical issues that
arose.  [log in to unmask] or

Barb Clay
832C Falls Rd
Parkton, Md. 21120

Share the text of HB1136 with your vet (DO IT NOW) and ask him to write
me a letter of why he supports such legislation.  Addy, same as above

Last, give your name to a petition to show support.Maryland Citizens are
most important, but volume outside of Maryland will be noted.

http://www.mdferretpaws.org/legislation/petition.html

All of this means nothing, unless you read HB1136.  This is my life's
work for ferrets, my dream.  I want my dream to start in my home,
Maryland.  I promise any state that needs and desires assistance in the
future for such a Bill, I will travel and assist you.  I will do anything
to assist you, to make my dream of USA ferret protection happen.

Thanks to Michelle Butler, Rocky's Treasurer, I was just informed that HB
1136, The Ferret Protection Bill, is scheduled for a hearing.

  *** MARCH 11th at 1:00pm ***

Anyone that can take off that day and come attend or testify to the need
and merits of this Bill, please plan now.  I need all the support I can
gather.

**************************************

HOUSE BILL 1136

Unofficial Copy 2004 Regular Session
E1 4lr0897

By: Delegates Cluster, Boteler, Boutin, DeBoy, Frank, Kach, McComas,
McConkey, Montgomery, Smigiel, Stocksdale, and Weir

Introduced and read first time: February 13, 2004
Assigned to: Judiciary
__________________________

A BILL ENTITLED

1  AN ACT concerning
2  Ferret Protection Act
3  FOR the purpose of prohibiting certain commercial entities from
   transporting in or
4  out of the State, or offering for sale, a ferret that is under a
   certain age or
5  lacking adult canine dentition; requiring certain commercial entities
   to sexually
6  alter all ferrets, prior to their sale, at no less than a certain age
   and provide
7  medical certification dating the procedure; prohibiting the transport
   of sexually
8  altered ferrets from their commercial breeding facility within a
   certain number
9  of days after their medical procedure; providing that a violation of
   this Act is a
10 misdemeanor; providing for a certain penalty; and generally relating
   to the
11 handling of ferrets.

12 BY adding to
13 Article - Criminal Law
14 Section 10-623
15 Annotated Code of Maryland
16 (2002 Volume and 2003 Supplement)
17 SECTION 1. BE IT ENACTED BY THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF
18 MARYLAND, That the Laws of Maryland read as follows:
19 Article - Criminal Law
20 10-623.
21 (A) A COMMERCIAL ENTITY THAT PRODUCES OR AIDS IN THE WHOLESALE OR
22 RETAIL DISTRIBUTION OF FERRETS:
23 (1) MAY NOT TRANSPORT IN OR OUT OF THE STATE, OR OFFER FOR
24 SALE, A FERRET THAT:
25 (I) IS UNDER 12 WEEKS OF AGE; OR
26 (II) LACKS FULL ADULT CANINE DENTITION;

2 HOUSE BILL 1136

1 (2) SHALL, AT NO LESS THAN 10 WEEKS OF AGE, SEXUALLY ALTER ALL
2 FERRETS PRIOR TO THEIR SALE AND PROVIDE MEDICAL CERTIFICATION DATING THE
3 PROCEDURE; AND
4 (3) MAY NOT TRANSPORT ANY FERRET DESCRIBED IN ITEM (2) OF THIS
5 SUBSECTION FROM ITS COMMERCIAL BREEDING FACILITY WITHIN 7 DAYS OF
6 SEXUALLY ALTERING THE FERRET.
7 (B) A COMMERCIAL ENTITY THAT VIOLATES THIS SECTION IS GUILTY OF A
8 MISDEMEANOR AND ON CONVICTION IS SUBJECT TO A FINE NOT EXCEEDING $100
9 FOR EACH VIOLATION.
10 SECTION 2.  AND BE IT FURTHER ENACTED, That this Act shall take
11 effect October 1, 2004.