From:
Casper7969 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Apr 1998 08:49:46 EDT
[See moderator's note at end of post.  BIG]

Hi all,
This is not ferret related and I'm sorry for posting it to this list but I
didn't know what else to do.  I need help with a baby racoon and was
wondering if any of you had any experience with them.  One of my co-workers
gave it to me.  She has had it for about 4 weeks and didn't have the time
to devote to the little dear.  I don't know how old he is but his eyes have
been open for about 6 days if that helps.  I have tried searching for info
on racoons on the web but have had no luck.  I just want to know about
weaning him and what I should feed him when I do.  He is being bottle fed
animal formula now and seems to be doing ok on it.  I definately plan on
taking him to the vet but it probably won't be for another 2 weeks or so
till I can afford it.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!  As far as
info,good sources on the web ect.  Please e-mail me privately as to not
clog up the list.  Sorry again and thanks in advance!!!

Sean

[Moderator's note: Posts like these arrive now and then and I usually keep
them off the list.  Not that I don't care -- I answer them myself -- but
they really aren't ferret-related enough to be appropriate.

The FML is light today and since the question comes up now and then, let me
suggest on the list some places to get help -- perhaps it will help others
in this predicament.  Most of us on the list are animal lovers after all!

In general, when you encounter a wild animal which needs help, the best
thing to do usually is to contact a wildlife rehabber.  It doesn't matter so
much what kind of animal it is -- it's more important to make the contact
with the rehab agency than worry about who has the most knowledge about the
specfic species.

But how to find a wildlife rehabilitator?  They are usually licensed by the
state.  They are often private, trained individuals who volunteer their
services, but some states also have salaried rehabbers.

So, step one: see if there is a logical state agency (oxymoron?) who can
point you in the right direction.  For example, in New York, the Department
of Environmental Conservation is in charge of wildlife.

If you can't get anywhere there, most veterinary offices -- especially
those in more rural areas -- will know who to call.  It's fine to call
a vet and say you found an injured animal and ask for a pointer.  Vets
normally restrict their practices to domesticated animals (or course,
there are exceptions) and refer these cases elsewhere anyhow.

If you still get nowhere, check local zoos -- often wildlife rehabbers
colaborate with zoo vets, since those vets are often they only ones in
the area with training appropriate for non-domestic animals.

Finally, one good list you can check with is the Wildlife Rehabbers List at
[log in to unmask]  I'd probably use them more as a last resort
than as a first try though, since you want to get help fast rather than
sitting around hoping someone answers your email.  BIG]