From:
"Karen Purcell, DVM" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Apr 1997 21:36:35 +0000
For everyone's info-
Someday I'd love to get my hands on the idiots teaching in medical schools.
I know for a fact that most medical schools do not teach about zoonotic
diseases (diseases spread from animals to people), as I have talked to MD
friends from a variety of American and European schools.  In the US,
veterinarians are essentially the only source of info (you may mock me, but
I actually had an argument from an NIH MD about a problem I learned in basic
parasitology class that he said was non-existent).  Please please do not let
a doctor tell you to get rid of your fuzzies (or cats or iguanas).  Anyone
taking proper sanitary precautions eg.  don't clean animal cages, food
containers etc where food is prepared, where gloves while cleaning (a mask
if you are really paranoid or have left that litter box just a little too
long...) will be able to own any animal regardless of physical condition.  I
just read a lovely article regarding the support of pet ownership among AIDS
and other immunocompromised patients.

Pregnant women are NOT sick.  If your doctor won't believe you, ask your vet
if he/she will speak to them.  I've done this with several clients, and have
been able to explain things in a professional manner that will alleviate
this problem for several doctors' patients.

Hope this helps and is not considered too vehement.  I'm afraid I tend to
bring out the soapbox on this topic.

-Dr. Karen