From:
"Pamela K. Wagner" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 May 1996 12:34:07 -0700
I haven't been able to read the FML for a while so please forgive me if this
has been discussed.  I have been trying to read what I can regarding
arthritis in humans since I know so many people with it and have found some
interesting info regarding arthritis and non steroidal anti-inflammitory
drugs (NSAIDS) (aspirin et al) and arthritis that I wonder would apply to
pets as well.  Osteoarthritis (most common form of arthritis) can be caused
by the breaking down of cartiladge in the body.  This causes pain and
inflamation.  Most everyone takes NSAIDS to help combat the pain but I have
read that NSAIDS, while they do help with the pain and inflammation,
actually continue to break down the cartiladge thus increasing the
arthritis.  Osteoarthritis can also be linked to diet.  But if we are
feeding our fuzzies a good quality of food I don't know how to address that
aspect.  I am also curious about genetic affects in animals such as german
shepards who get arthritis due to the way they were breeded for their body
structure.  Don't know.  Just thought I'd add my .01 worth.

Pamela K. Wagner and Ernie, Grover, and Elmo
Flagstaff, AZ