From:
Kim Burkard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Jan 2000 11:33:40 -0500
Re: Miniture Ferrets
>Friend: OMIGOD!  I talked to the pet store and they admitted that they get
>them from a private breeder who has the altered the SAME DAY they are born.
>They said the reason they are $500 is because only 1 in 6 survive the
>surgery and that makes them *rare*!

A perfect example of why regulations or changes in practices need to be
aimed at the industry in general and not just at one, albeit major ferret
breeder/farm.

I'm glad to hear that this backyard yutz is out of business and some
charges may be levied against some of those involved - although fines
and/or jailtime would be too kind, IMHO.

Re: broken rib?
>have been watching, and really am not seeing him eat.  I have been on the
>FAQ reading and still have no ideas of what is wrong.  I am wondering if
>a rib got broken (he fell in his cage the other day) and could have hurt
>his intestines.  Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated.

Since you posted anonymously, I couldn't email you directly.  My suggestion
would be to take your ferret to your vet.  Any advice you get on the FML
can not replace going to your vet in this (and many) situations.

-kim, pippi (raisin?  OH MY GOODNESS!  IT'S A RAISIN!),
atlas (kibbles-n-bits), jinx (who needs an alarm clock with her around),
and rosie (the white weasel of terror)

Kimberly Burkard     |             _    Everything I needed to know in life,
Eastman Kodak Company|      _____C .._. I learned from my ferret:
Rochester, New York  | ____/     \___/  Frolic and dance for joy often, have
[log in to unmask]    |<____/\_---\_\    no fear or worries, and enjoy life.