From:
Sunny Cook <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Sep 2001 12:31:15 EDT
I have posted a few times, yep, that opinionated little old lady.  I
really don't say much these days but I would like to speak up on the issue
of elderly ferrets.  I am owned by 8 lovely little fuzzies and adopted by
quite a few more.  I have cages set up in every spare area in my home and
patio.

I spend what little free time I have going to the nearest shelter and
bringing home ferrets that have been turned in by their owners because
they are old, sick or just not wanted.  This is a shock to some of these
little guys beings that they are ill.  They have feelings too.  They go
into a depression and stop eating.  I spend time fattening them back up
and getting them to start roaming and doing their little war dance.  Then
once again back to the shelters.  What happens then is that they are not
cute and cuddly and no one wants them.

Well, let me tell you each and every one of these little guys have
personality.  They just want to be loved and roam for a while.  I don't
know if I'm doing them much good, it just seems like you get them feeling
good and then you send them back and then they just go right back into
their depression.

If I could afford to support every one of these guys I would keep them, but
I cannot.  I wish that when a person gets a ferret they would realize what
they are getting themselves into.  Why is it so hard to deal with these
guys?  Cats are similar and I don't see people dumping them off cause they
are getting married or having kids.  (OOPS.)

I guess my big opinion is when you chose your pet, remember that age
doesn't make a difference.  Its how you treat your fuzzy and you will get
lots of love back.

Go to your local shelter and adopt a ferret.  Chose one that is elderly
and learn what it is to be a loving fuzzy parent starting from the other
end of the spectrum.

I was talking with my younger sister yesterday and she said "its to bad
you can't send this much energy on disable children."  My response was "I
am just not our kind of children, but fuzzies."

My mother and father were here yesterday and they just cannot understand
my interest in these fuzzies, until I let them out and they were running
through the house jumping over each other and begging for bones.  The
laughter out of my parents was worth more to me than gold.

Sunny