From:
"Phyllis A. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Jul 1998 02:47:16 -0500
First, I want to thank everyone that has taken the time to help me.

I took her back to the vet's today.  I saw my regular vet today.  She said
the Faith has all the symptoms of insulinoma.  She took more blood today.  I
took my own glucometer and it said the blood sugar was 105.  I know that my
machine is some high, but I am not sure how much.  I have been having low
sugar reactions even through my blood sugar reads 90 something.  My doctor
said that my meter was running high.  Her glucometer wouldn't even work
today, which could be the reason that there was such a difference between
the in-house and lab results two weeks ago.  Two weeks ago the blood panel
was fine, but she drew another one today plus a CBC.  I will not get the
test results until this morning, July 2.

I told that all my postings have said that ferrets normal blood glucose was
between 90 and 120 and that I had been told that it has recently changed.
She asked me to find proof of this.  Does anyone know where I can find a
copy of the paper that has been written, if one, or an expert that I can
contact that will verify this information.

Also, I bought the current issue of the Ferret Magazine tonight and it
states that a ferret can have insulinoma with a normal blood glucose level
and no physical signs of insulinoma.  Has any one ever had or heard this
happening?  Faith is having a lot of the symptoms, however.

Dr. Lennex said that I needed to decide whether I would have the surgery or
not.  I feel that I don't want to have the surgery unless I know she has it
and it will improve her Quality of life better than just being on a special
diet and medicine.  Tom feels I should do what I can with medicine and diet
and save any money I would spend on the surgery for a new ferret, since the
surgery doesn't cure the disease and sometimes doesn't even help.  Please
help me decide my letting me know what you did and how it helped or didn't.
I want to gather as much information as I can, to make the best informed
decision I can.  The male vet that I seen the first time, recommended diet
only.

One other quick question.  How often should I be feeding her the duck soup?
I have been making it with chicken baby food, heavy whipping cream, brewers
yeast, ferretone and sometimes ground Totally Ferret, but she seems to eat
the soup without the TF better.  My vet did suggest that I use A/D instead
of the baby food, because it has more of the nutrition that she has and it
doesn't have the added salt.  I am going to try that tomorrow.  I have
several days of my other recipe, with TF, left so I continued to give it to
her today.  Also how much of this should she be eating.  Some days she eats
a baby food jar full and other days I have to force feed her at times.

I want to be fair to me vet.  She said that sometimes it takes several blood
test for it to show positive for insulinoma.

Phyllis and the four Wigglies, Faith (who is still loosing weight despite
of hand feeding duck soup with heavy whipping cream), Hope, Charrity and
Generosity