From:
Jennifer Coyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Nov 1997 03:38:26 -0700
Mary wrote:
>Jennifer - I agree with everything you said except one thing.  Heavy cream
>in small amounts can be good for some ferrets who are underweight due to
>insulinoma etc.  Some ferrets are pretty lactose intolerant - some aren't.

I am in total agreement.  What I meant was not to feed your healthy ferret
milk products as a regular diet or treat.  There are exceptions in some
cases, as in insulinoma patients, where I (and my clinic) recommend cream ,
but in a very very small doses.  It is true, there are a few ferrets that
are not lactose intolerant, but sometimes you may not be able to tell,
because ferrets with a minor intolerance may only have stomach cramping and
feel ill.  Their bodies usually do not need dairy products, therefore there
is no reason to give it to them in the first place- there are more healthy
treats like fresh veggies, some fruits and grains like bread, cereal and
rice.  Dooks to all!

Jennifer M. Coyer CVT
Fred, Faya, and Zero the Fuzzmunchkins

P.S. In case anyone is wondering, no I am not going to reply to Gentry's
post. I feel that it would only cause more controversy :) and possible
flammage.