From:
Chris VonSeggern <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Jan 1995 01:09:53 -0800
Just a question for the resident vets about a strange health problem my
Scooter has been experiencing lately.  Scooter is a 1-year-old (almost)
neutered male sable who has had a habit of gagging explosively every once
in a while since he was just a few months old.  A couple times recently
it's gotten really bad, with frequent gags and heaving like he was
extremely ill.  Both of those occasions have produced frantic vet visits,
with mixed results.

Two different vets have seen him for this, and neither one has found
anything obviously wrong except for inflamed tonsils.  Our regular vet
says he can feel a swelling in Scooter's throat, but has no idea what is
causing it.  Several different drugs including amoxicillin have failed to
get rid of it.

Except for the occasional gag and acting like he has something stuck in
his throat, Scooter seems not to be affected like this at all; he eats
and poops normally, plays a lot, knocks my CDs off the rack, knocks
*everything* off my desk, runs around the apartment, and looks great.  I
just wonder what might be causing the mystery swelling in his throat and
the accompanying gagging.  I'm not too worried, because it's apparently
not hurting him and my vet isn't at all worried, but I'd like him not to
have to put up with it any more.

If Dr. Williams and/or Dr. Weiss want to offer any comments they have,
as well as any of the rest of you, I'd be very interested in hearing them.

Thanks, everyone, for putting up with a long post.
Chris
and Scooter
Bellingham, WA

        I am Ferret of Borg