From:
Troy Lynn Eckart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Jan 2000 11:08:43 -0600
Podo is an older boy, much older than first thought.  In a previous home
he lost 50% of his body weight in 6 months.  He was kept caged 90% of the
time.  He had insulinoma but the person didn't know so he received no
treatment.  He was severely depressed.  I don't know how long he'd been in
his home before that one.  Podo was placed in a temporary home so that he
could regain his strength and weight before he joined our family.  There he
seemed at first to come out of his shell, or so I was told.  Sunday night I
received a call from his caretaker and she was worried he'd die.  News to
me.  She promised to work with him throughout the night.  The next day
before noon I called her and she wasn't home.  By 7:30 that evening I'd
called 3 more times and she still wasn't home but on the last call her
husband was so I told him I'd be over to pick up Podo and his companions.
I rushed over and found a sick, dehydrated, malnourished, uncaring older
ferret.  As I picked him up my heart ached.  He was ridgid in my hands.  I
rushed to the kitchen and grabbed the Karo syrup hoping that would hold him
till I could get him home 11 miles away.  I jumped in the car, placed the 4
ferrets in the cage beside and sped off.  As I was leaving my little old
truck started lurching and trying to die.  I prayed all the way home we'd
make it and make it we did.  I ran into the house with the cage and quickly
warmed some recipe and added dextrose.  I held Podo in my arms as I gently
dribbled drop after drop into his mouth.  Most he let drip out but we
managed to get a good amount in that he swallowed.  I let him down, he
walked a few steps and flat ferreted.  I wanted to cry and scream at the
same time my heart ached so much.  I worked with Podo throughout the night.
I sub-q'd him twice and by morning he was looking a bit better.  Janice
came by and fed him then took him to our vet.  His glucose was 60 and he
had a sinus infection on top of ECE.  He was sick, old, and tired.  Janice
brought him back and fed him again.  As soon as I got home I fed him.  Each
time it is a struggle.  I look into his eyes and I see the sadness and
confusion there.  I am at least his 4th home.  He has the "nobody
loves/wants me" syndrome.  I'm trying so hard to keep him with us.  His
spirit is in hiding.  I need to show him what love is all about.  I need to
do this for both of us.

I need your help.  Please think good loving healing thoughts for Podo so
that he can heal and learn what true love is.  Podo is a large, long, dusty
colored ferret, beautiful.  If you can see it in your heart to light a
candle for his healing, please do so.  All healing energy can be sent
directly to Podo.

Please Podo, stay with us for awhile, please....

Hugs to all. tle
Troy Lynn Eckart
Ferret Family Services
Please sign up to support our charity