From:
John Rosloot <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Jan 1996 10:21:39 -0600
In issue 1439 Sheena Staples <[log in to unmask]> writes:

>Milo is a great big fatso. He weighs just over 6lbs although he is neutered
>and descented at a teeny weeny size (hard to believe he was ever teeny
>weeny).  He's HUGE, and he's only 7 months old.  Is this just baby fat?

Sammy was also a chubster for a while (although he peaked at only 4.25
pounds; still about as big as Bud and Cassie put together at the time.  I
can't imagine a ferret being even bigger!).  Sammy reached his peak weight
at about 6 months age.  After this I didn't keep track of his weight for
some time (my scale broke, and I had trouble finding a replacement).  But
Sammy was bred at a breeder I know at 10 months (*PLEASE* don't do this
yourself, you don't know what you're getting yourself into!  Neuter your
males at 6 to 8 months age, BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE!  Ask me about it when you
have a free hour sometime :).  He was neutered at about 1 year, and at age
13 months he weighed 3.25 pounds.  He's 20 months old now, and has been
holding steady at about 2.75 to 3 pounds for several months (he's not skinny
though; he really was pretty plump before).

Of course this is just one example, and Sammy's history is different than
Milo's, but it seems a plump young ferret can slim out later in life.

--
John Rosloot, Caregiver to Cassidy and Sammy
With loving memories of my dear departed Buddy