From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Oct 2000 11:56:58 -0400
Championships can tell you who has the interesting or good looks from a
human standpoint, but what you need to know (Ask multiple sources.) are
things like this:

1. Does the breeder follow the kits which leave to spot good things
   (like robust health and good longevity)?
2. Does the breeder follow the kits which leave to spot bad things
   like an unusual tendency to certain illnesses, handicaps, early
   illness, early deaths, etc. and then cull form breeding (sterilize,
   not kill) the lines with significant problems?
3. Does the breeder take care to bring in other lines which might
   add to robustness?
4. Does the breeder avoid practises that can lead to doubled recessive
   of deleterious traits?
5. Does the breeder place a high value on good personality traits?
6. When asked for lifespans and health does the breeder give figures
   that match what you found from most of those you asked?
7. Do you approve of the living conditions you se and the way that
   the breeder interacts with the ferrets?

These checks are all up to YOU!

Check with people who already have kits from those breeders, and check
with several since it's always possible that one might have a personal
gripe or a personal connection that could cloud issues.

Steve and I know some of these things from multiple people about certain
breeders, but we personally actually tend to go with rescues to an
ever-increasing degree: shelter ferrets, abused ferrets that can use rehab
and extra love, and handicapped ferrets.  We know that our next ones will
be shelter rescues unless a real hard luck case shows up when ever that
may be.  Years ago we had some from private places, but that is more and
more moving into old times so is out of date...

Because of our preference for which ferrets join our family we don't
recommend anyone ourselves, though we've certainly heard some good things
consistently about some and bad about others.  We'd only be repeating what
we have heard (bad form in a recommendation situation though fine for
casual conversation when decorum is used) so it's better for folks to ask
directly and find people through lists, clubs, etc.  then check several.

I just get worried when people don't differentiate between championships
and the things that count in the long run like health and personality.  A
post yesterday (perhaps incorrectly) gave me that impression.  So, I just
wanted to remind everyone that even beauty queens (and kings) can die
young, or be unpleasant souls.  Look for what counts.  PERSONALITY!
HEALTH!  LONGEVITY!

Breeders: if you don't already keep detailed information on lines:

1. Follow the kits when they leave your home.
2. Take time to learn about genetics as well a good breeding practises
   (from college genetics texts, please, since there are NO reliable
   ferret-specific resources out there, though there are things which
   have some good points mixed in with unreliable stuff).
3. Keep detailed records and have those available.
4. Cull from breeding lines with significant problems.
5. Follow the sorts of breeding practises for health that far too many
   breeders of championship dogs and cats did not follow, so that ferrets
   can be healthier rather than damaged further.
6. Check out the Ferret Genetics List and contribute your records to help
   more be learned.  Read the back issues.

BTW, I STILL have received NO replies about ANY blazes or pandas which have
lived to normal lifespans -- none past age 6 and 1/2 so far (with many
dying or having serious health problems at only ages 4 and 5).  Vickie
now is going to try to check through many sources with a large number of
ferrets to see if she encounters any and if so, how many.  This is very
upsetting -- some breeders and some shows really made these markings
popular and the genes are widely spread.