From:
Ferretwise <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Jan 2006 15:15:40 -0500
I beklieve if studies are ever done - what you will find is - in intact
males with adrenal symptoms you may find that appear such due to
prolonged "rut" condition.  I had a personal ferret who all of a sudden
started balding.  With the help of Dr Jerry Murray, he was administered
Lupron, & given melatonin.

Later ( three months) once he was back into his out of season coat he was
neutered ( never ever neuter a male when in rut-- it is not a good thing
to do to them hormonally).

He is a vibrant big 4 lb boy now Looking like a 2 year old.  It would
have been easy to label this ferret an intact adrenal patient-- but the
truth is he had stayed in rut too long he has both adrenals in tact now
has been neutered a full year and has never looked better.

I am sure it can happen-- but fro my experience with intact ferrets-- the
symptoms are the same-- you need to know where they are in the hormonal
cycle before assuming it is a compromised adrenal gland.  Hormones are
funny things!

Alicia