From:
Pam Grant and STAR* Ferrets <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Aug 1996 14:45:34 -0400
Ferret Harnesses:
Shirley Hertzog - WarmFuzzy Ferret Harnesses (velcro) - 610-926-9087 - $6
plus S&H.

>[log in to unmask] - starting a ferret shelter
please check out STAR*'s homepage for some details, and we will be delighted
to help you get started.  See below for WWW address.

>[log in to unmask] - descenting
If the ferret is not "farting" or expressing itself in an unsmelly manner,
then don't descent.  I don't know where AFA or any other organization would
recommend descenting unless there was an ongoing health problem with that
ONE ferret.  In other countries, descenting is kin to animal abuse.

>distemper shot program
new kit - distemper at 8 weeks, 11-12 weeks, 14-15 weeks (i.e. booster at
every 3-4 week interval).  If purchased at the pet shop, ask the arrival
date the kit came in and give the second booster 3 weeks after that date.
Third booster in 3-4 weeks.

Rabies can be administered as early as 12 weeks, but keep this shot separate
from the distemper by 1 or 2 weeks.  No booster is needed.

new adult - no known shot record?  Vaccinate against distemper and then
boost 3-4 weeks later.

Rabies can be administered as any time, but keep this shot separate from the
distemper by 1 or 2 weeks.

If you know the ferret was inoculated within the last year, then only one
shot is needed to keep them current.  If you want to move a new ferret to
your present ferret(s) schedule, or visa versa, then as long as it has been
a month since the previous shot, go ahead and re-vaccinate.

Annual boosters are required for distemper and rabies.  Keep these shots
separate by 1-2 weeks and in case of reactions, wait at the vets for at
least 20 minutes after the shot is given.

Recommended vaccines are Galaxy-D and Fervac-D for distemper.  Imrab 3 is
the ONLY approved rabies vaccine for ferrets at this time.

>[log in to unmask] - shelter fund raising
Quickie fund drives are car washes, yard sales and weasel bathing days.
Long term fund drives are buying and selling ferret supplies, hiking
adoption fees, and begging.

Far out ferret references - for those who like to equate fire lizards to
ferrets, ferrets did go with the colony to Pern - it is mentioned in the
Renigades book.  (Ann McCaffrey, Dragonriders or Pern)

>Marshall Farm operations
>Do they keep different groups of jills and hobs as breeders for lab ferrets
>as opposed to those breeders that are destined for the pet trade?
NO

>Can you trace your ferret's "mom " and "dad" to a certain breeding pair or
>are mom and dad just a numbered pair?
Some work has been done with mircochips, but not enough to identify genetic
breeding problems.

>DELUSIVE99 - ferret sitting in Detroit:
>[log in to unmask] - Vets in Mass:
>[log in to unmask] - clubs in FL:
>[log in to unmask] - vets in FL:
>[log in to unmask] - ferret people in WA:

For more info on STAR* Ferrets, and to receive a listing of ferret shelters,
contacts, vets, suppliers, breeders, clubs, etc. in your state, send a LONG
self addressed stamped envelope to:

STAR* Ferrets
PO Box 1714
Springfield, VA 22151-0714

To review the ENTIRE listing, go to http://work.com/ferret/star-list.html

Check out STAR*'s Web page through http://ferret-world.csc.peachnet.edu.
E-mail questions/corrections/additions, etc.  to: [log in to unmask]

Pamela Grant, Director

ATTENTION FERRET LOVERS:

If every ferret owner contributed just a dollar for the rabies shed study,
we would have six million dollars and a quarantine for our ferrets.  Since I
can not reach all ferret owners, please help by sending what you can and
asking your vet, friends and local pet shops for donations and send them to:

Morris Animal Foundation / Ferret Shed Study, 45 Inverness Drive East,
Englewood, CO 80112-5480.  This is tax deductible.