From:
Kathy Gallagher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Apr 2000 07:33:27 -0400
>From:    "Charlee M. Poehlman" <[log in to unmask]>
>
>Hailee... she is a terrible BITER.  We have tried everything to get her
>out of it.  Cosmo bit a little the first week we got him, but within 2
>weeks, the biting stopped.  Hailee is another story.  We have had her
>for about 4 weeks now, and she is about 12 weeks old.  Is it the breed
>(cinnamon) itself maybe?  I have owned two other sables in the past with
>no problems with biting.  But my little Hailee... I'm at my wits end...

Hi--

You folks have yourself a fiesty girl, and at the age when they "rebel" and
test limits.  She will probably continue like that for about 4 more weeks.

The best way to discipline a nippy kit is to scruff it and say in a firm
voice, "NO!" or hiss at it.  If the ferret tries to nip a second time, drag
her by the scruff across the floor.  She needs to know you are the boss.
Never put her down after she nips you.  Sometimes it's just easiest to let
her fight you restraining her until she is tired.  Gver her treat and put
her down.  Another method for nippy ferrets is to put them in "ferret jail"
on a time out.  A small empty carrier works best.

I think ferret central at www.ferretcentral.org has a faq on dealing with
bitey ferrets.

Good luck.

KG