From:
"Scott B. Maitland" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Jun 1995 11:41:00 EDT
I agree with previous posts concerning the one-sided nature of the CBS
story.  Addresses and phone # were already posted and should be used!
What was most troubling about this report was not the unfortunate young
girl but the exploitation of her case and the lack of factual evidence
to back up statements.

eg.  We have files full of cases just like this (numbers please!).
eg.  These animals pose a serious threat to birds and small mammals
     if set free (evidence that they can survive in the wild please)
(or) (how about something to show how devastating their hunting skills are?)
eg.  The other states should follow California's example (why do 47(?)
     states allow ferrets if they are so horrendous).

Finally, how about somenumbers to compare ferret attacks versus dogs, cats,
snakes, etc?  I'm sure that, even if you proportionalize for the number of
pets of each type, you would find that ferret attacks are quite uncommon.

Last thought, what kind of a moron would allow a ferret to run free in
the room of an infant in a crib?  I'm pro-ferret, but I always see the
potential problem with leaving an infant unattended with a ferret.  Some
people have no common sense!

                              Scott