From:
Michael Capps <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 May 2008 07:08:55 -0700
I appreciate all the advice on our new little girl and her digging
passion. I did not appreciate the "what smart a__ answers" reply,
what's up with this??? I don’t see any reason for the sarcasm; if you
don't have an answer just don't reply. This was an honest question
about how to get her to stop digging.

We have 12 ferrets and the only one who digs at the food is this new
little girl. I know that there is no connection between her deafness
and digging, I only mentioned it as I wouldn't get answers that
included telling her NO.

We all know that digging is a natural instinct for ferrets but there
are some ferret owners out there that have faced this problem and
found a solution. I was hoping on getting some ideas from them.

I did get three good ideas that I will try out.

1. She may be digging because she doesn't like the food - Definite
possibility as her previous owner fed her kitten chow. So maybe a
change in the food we give her. Right now it's a mixture of Zuprean
and Sheapard and Green
2. Raise the food dish so she has to stand up some to get it making it
harder to dig (not too high so she has to stretch but high enough to
make digging more inconvenient.
3. Provide an alternate digging outlet, like a rice bowl or something.
I'm not sure about a rice bowl because I worry they may eat the rice
and get a blockage (too risky). We've tried the biodegradable peanuts
but one of our fuzzies tries to make a meal of them, we've also tried
ping pong balls but another fuzzy tries to eat them too. We're working
on it.

Thank you to all who offered sincere advice

Mike