From:
David & Tracy Browne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Feb 1999 05:12:58 -0600
Hi Sam - saw your post on the FML about nurses using ferrets to practice
intubation on and felt compelled to write.  No flaming here!  In fact, it
was refreshing to see your post asking people to be polite and respectful.

First of all, as an RN with ACLS (advanced cardiac life support) training,
we do not - nor have we ever practiced on anything other than simulators.
I had never heard of practicing on ferrets until the posts on the FML.  I
do NOT believe that it is a common practice to use ferrets.  I subscribe
to most of the main nursing journals, and never have seen this type of
training discussed.

The only exception I know of where mannequins are not used - is when
there is a trauma in the ER and the person dies - occasionally the Dr.'s
(residents) will practice intubation on the deceased.  Respiratory
Therapists will often use the deceased for this purpose also as they are
often the first on the scene of a "code" and will intubate in an emergency
before the Dr.'s arrive on the scene.  Usually it just takes a couple of
tries to get the technique down.  This is not often disclosed, but I have
seen it done.

I don't believe that practicing on ferrets is very widespread.  Therefore,
I'd hate to see this get blown out of proportion.  Of course, I do object
to using ferrets to practice on, and would rather the Dr.'s use the "real
thing".  Intubation is not difficult to learn, but it must be done VERY
RAPIDLY in order to ventilate the patient and keep them from anoxia.

I hope this has perhaps helped to dispel some of the rumors flying around
out there.  I'm not saying that practicing intubation on ferrets is not
done - but it is not widespread.

Trace and Oreo