From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Nov 1999 11:42:38 -0500
I know there's at least one British ferret med text, too, but don't have
such titles.  Perhaps someone else will post those.

The following webpages include sections written by vets on a range of
ferret health topics:
 1.  http://www.ferretcentral.org
 2.  http://www.afip.org/ferrets
 3.  http://www.miamiferret.org/FHC
 4.  http://www1.btwebworld.com/beechhouse/ferrets.htm
I expect others here can tell us all of more with ferret-specific info by
vets.  Know I'd love learning about such sites.  They are a TREASURE!

Here are the veterinary texts we have by vets which deal specifically
with ferrets:
1999, _Essentials of Ferrets, a Guide for Practitioners_, Karen Purcell,
       AAHA, (1-800-252-2242)
1998, _Biology and Diseases of the Ferret_, James G. Fox, Williams and
       Wilkins,  (1-800-447-8438)
1997, _Ferrets, Rabbits, and Rodents, Elizabeth Hillyer and Katherine
       Quesenberry, Saunders, (Curtis Center, Independence Sq. W.,
       Philadelphia, PA 19106. I don't have the 800 number but perhaps
       someone  else can post it)

The AFA used to have some of these but they weren't on the most recent
sales list.  You can also try Hildi at 1-800-FERRETW.

Be very careful about strings.  The GI tract moves somewhat but strings,
tinsel, floss, etc.  sometimes catch and remain immobile.  The result is
like a slow motion version of people using dental floss to cut cakes, I
gather.  (Not a vet -- I think most everyone here knows that, though)

One way to learn about the list beginning is to go to [email]
[log in to unmask] and request SEND FERRET 1 .

Chris Lewis was the original moderator; he, Pat, and their son are Canadian
and in Canada.  Bill came in quite a while back, though, and he provided
protection to those in FFZs who needed anonymous posting even while Chris
still moderated.  When Chris stopped Bill took over as moderator and built
the FML to its current age and size.

There were something like a dozen addresses at the time, with some having a
couple of readers.  If you look at the top of yesterday's list you'll see:
Issue number: 2879, Date: 28 Nov 1999, Circulation: 3076, Moderator: Bill
Gruber, just compare that with issue 1!!!!!!  I guess it's been something
like a dozen years now over which these changes have happened?

At first we just used rec.pets, then there was rec.pets.exotics or
something like that, then that with .ferrets, then the list began when we
all got fed up with junk.  Used to have problems at first before the
moderated list began with the discussions being over-run by people who
knew absolutely squat about ferrets and hated them so would take up a lot
of room blasting them, including someone who liked to post recipes for
ferrets.  (NOT recipes to feed to ferrets but ones using them as the meat
ingredient...)

We all needed the list because no one had extensive knowledge back so then
we were all in the early learning phases, and making a number of the same
errors that people now can avoid by learning from our mistakes, also vet
med for ferrets was practically non-existent at that point.  Can't recall
if Mark and Shu Ju were on at the very beginning but I think that they
might have been; do know that Mark Burgess was the first vet on the list
but then he left after a while.  That was the dark ages for ferrets --
before even the first steps toward the final result of getting them on the
Compendium (testing of vaccines to work to USDA approval of rabies vaccine
which happened in 1990); people didn't know even the basics which readers
now can learn about beforehand and which ferrets survive with operations
and meds.

It started mostly with folks in the U.S. but my suspicion of why it's still
mostly U.S. members is simply due to the popular media such as magazines
and U.S. ferret books including the FML in their resource lists, so more
people get directed to the list.  If more books, ferret mags, clubs, and
ferret newsletters in other countries directed people to the FML then the
proportions would very likely change.  At least 26 countries represented
here now?  WOW, NEAT!