From:
Sandy E Schieman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Apr 1996 21:18:21 EDT
(BIG, I'm crossposting this to both lists since a lot of folks have not yet
discovered the FML-10th mailing list.  I assume you started the list so
discussion of the Anniversary could be carried on there instead of the
regular FML.  I shall confine my future posts on the subject to the new
list.)

As some of you may remember, I spent several weeks in Orlando last November
and December.  I've noticed several posts about how expensive it might be to
find lodging, etc, in Orlando.  I'm happy to report that this time of year,
with the exception of Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's weeks, is their
off season.  Motels and hotels are practically begging you to stay with
them.  I stayed at a Days Inn, 5 miles from the main gate of Disney, for $20
a night, including breakfast.  Orlando has a dirth of rooms available that
are very hard to fill in the off season.  Heck, I can't get a room at a Days
Inn in Atlanta for less than $33 a night - or more - anytime of the year.

You can also find ticket vendors at practically every corner selling
discounted tickets to just about everything.  While these 'deals' always
require the purchase of several tickets, a family of three or four can save
a bundle.  Food can cost as much or as little as you want it too.  I managed
to stuff myself on an average outlay of $12 a day.  I even found a place
where I got to eat all the Lobster I wanted for $20 (Throw out the nets,
boys, Paw Paw's coming back for another plate).

Other observations: Gas is higher in Florida so gas up in Valdosta.  Beer is
cheaper so finish what you have BEFORE you hit the road.  Cigarettes are
OUTRAGEOUS so stop in NC or GA and stock up.  There is no state sales tax in
FL.  Ferrets run about $99 dollars each and all that I saw were bright eyed
and bushy tailed and kept in good conditions.

I'll have to admit that my first choice for the Anniversay Bash is Orlando
because us Schieman-type-critters are only a 7-8 hour drive away from there.
Perhaps we should consider having mini-bashes in various parts of the
country and exchanging video tapes.  I know that Orlando is a looong way
from many folks.

Oh yes, we have a small color scanner (4X4) and will be glad to help out
with the badge/sticker/tee shirt project.  I can't draw a straight line but
I'm pretty good at manipulating graphics and turning them into nice things.
I do all the scanning and graphics work for Enhanced Micro Systems - Mee
Maw's Pooter Company.

BTW, thank you BIG for helping me to surprise Mee Maw with her Easter poem
for this year.  She got home from church looking really expectant.  She
looked kinda down when I handed her the FML instead of the usual fancy
envelope.  You should should have seen her eyes light up when she saw her
poem on the FML.  I will go into no further detail.  This is, after all, a
family list.

Let me know if there is ANYTHING I can to to help make the 10th Anniversary
of the FML the huge success it will surely be.

Paw Paw

PS: The moose is fine.  I identified him in a police lineup today and it
turns out that he is a member of the New Mexico Olympic Track Team.  Go
figure.  I dropped all charges because of the hard time some Olympic
Officials have given to the country of New Mexico lately.

PPS: Sorry for the typos in this. I think Tater and Odie have stolen my
Compuserve spell checker. I haven't seen it for days.