Date:
Tue, 12 Oct 1999 09:48:37 -0400
To the person who inquired about plexiglass: two weeks ago I purchased a
sheet of plexiglass and a cutter from the local Home Depot, along with a
strip of wood moulding to attach to the door to slot it in.

Well, despite my measuring multiple times, I cut the plexiglass too wide,
and what do you know?  If you just bow it and stick it in the door, it
stays put.  No fuss, no muss, no screws or nails, and portable too!  The
ferrets can't dislodge it, and even our gentle Rottweiler respects the
barrier, although she peers through it at the fuzzbutts, whines, and wags
her stubby little tail!  Your mileage may vary, but it worked great for me.

Cages: two weeks ago I bought the new four story modular cage from SuperPet
(the same people who make the ferretrail system) along with two ferretrail
tunnels (like dryer hose but brightly colored and with connectors) and a
2-pack of cage adapters for the tunnels.  We now have a four story cage on
wheels, rolls out for easy cleaning, about six feet tall with the stand,
with a sixteen-foot tunnel which exits the cage on the third floor, winds
up and down and around, and re-enters the cage on the second floor.  I had
to fiddle with the configuration a bit, the vertical tube connecting the
first and second floor was simply unacceptable, but there is ample room for
two large hammocks, a crinkle sack, a rolly-ball, and numerous toys.  The
ferrets actually play in their cage, and they love going up and down
between the levels and around through the tunnels, as well as batting toys
around inside and dropping them down through the connector tubes!  We still
let them out twice a day, !  in a ferret-proofed room and supervised, but
they are noticeably happier, more comfortable, and better entertained than
they were in the old cage.  Please don't flame me for caging my fuzzies; I
live in a 165-year old house chock-full of nooks and crannies, and I
wouldn't let a child wander around unsupervised, let alone four curious
ferrets.

Thanks, also, for the kind messages regarding Pixel's surgery.  I guess I'm
just bummed at having so many surgeries so close together but I suppose
that's not untypical.  Hopefully it will go well--I'll post an update on
Friday.

Gail Shochet